Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group in Athens
Ummm...

I haven't said much lately, but...

For those of you in Greece. Since ancient Greece is the centerpiece of the tourist industry, and some how or another a trireme was built. (one of my wife's employees paid money to row the thing on vacation). I might put forward that a Hoplite group would add to the tourist attraction. I believe you have a Ministry of Tourism. Is it possible that if you, who live in Greece, founded a group, with representative members from different cities, that you may be able to get a grant to do this? Each group could adopt regional variations in equipment and such.

One of the best things about RAT Greek section is that the group is small and has a good personal cohesion. By this I mean its friendly and helpful. I may get some flack for this, but I started getting more interested in this forum because of the bickering and condescension of some (few) of the members more concerned with Roman issues. I hope we don't loose this friendly cohesion.

I hope you all make it to Nashville. I hope to meet most of you, and especially those who have gone out of their way to help me by posting things for me and corresponding privately. I am retired. The Greek group has given me enough incentive and initiative to go back to school and want to take Greek and some Museum Studies classes.

LYKAON of (somewhere I haven't decided yet)
otherwise:
Ralph Izard
Hahaha... This is GREAT opinion/suggestion, IF you was talking about A SERIOUS Ministy of Tourism and SERIOUS people/politics in the RIGHT possitions!

Here, in "modern" Greece, we must come and live for a while to see,... that we are NOTHING but a US protectorat and NOTHING more!

Regards.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Quote:Here, in "modern" Greece, ... that we are NOTHING but a US protectorat and NOTHING more!

Regards.

Sephanos, Spyros, and you others who live in Greece... Do you share this view? That the Tourism Ministry would not support a Hoplite association because Greece is a US protectorate? One of the things that was good about the Greek section of RAT is that modern politics have been kept out except were relevant in a valid academic context.

Ralph Izard
Quote:That the Tourism Ministry would not support a Hoplite association because Greece is a US protectorate?

Why some folks, taking a comment and USING IT as they pleased???

I DIDN'T say that a Hoplite association maybe paused or not letting happent... BECAUSE modern GREECE is a US protectorate!!!

ZEUS! Did I say something like that, fellow?

NO!

I said, that this... pigsty that some people DARE to call it "State" - and much MORE, a GREEK STATE! - is nothing but a US protectorate and EVERYTHING goes in this "State", is only about US interests...

SOMETHING CULTURAL, is NOT a No 1 priority here; never was, at least, that passed... 35 years that I'm watching the process of this... "country"!
EVERYTHING that happens in this... "joke-country", is all about money, power, interests & profits, for personal reasons ("the American dream") but also for our "guide-father", the US State.

ANY common sence Greek citizen, with medioum culture & education (doesn't need BIGGER!), agree on this!

If you ask a simple Greek person about his opinion for his... "country", he'll answer that I've already said:

Our "great" politicians, working for THEIR own proffit and for US interests! "Right wind" gonverment, "Center" gonverment, acting like Greece is a US protectorate (I didn't spoke about the "Left wing", because is a... joke, not a serious party!)...

And... Ministry of Culture & Ministry of Turism SHOULD BE the most SERIOUS of all!
These is what we HAVE LEFT to "sell", as a nation; we don't produsing ANYTHING, except our LEGASY and our beautiful land!
We should have the BEST MEN, in these chairs...
We have THE WORST!

Got it, my friend?

And please, do not twisting or missunderstanding my words and putting them IN MY mouth...

Regards...

P.S.: I would MOST HAPPY to see a Hoplite Assosiation here, in Greece. This dream to be a reality, can be in two different ways:
a. Gonverment finance's support (UNLIKELY, unless we'll found a SERIOUS "connection" in the Ministries! NOTHING happens in Greece, if you DON'T own serious connections!)
b. Idividual finance's support (which is MORE LIKELY, if several - many - people gather themselves and donate money to that Assosiation...)
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
I still see no conflict of meaning or context in my post. I think it best if you wish to continue with what I said or meant, or you said or meant, please PM me.

BTW, I support the right of freedom of speech. I got banned from RAT for 340 something days of a 30 day ban, (a record) by the previous RAT administartion for objecting to censorship. You can say what you want, but given the lack of friction in the Greek forum, which to me is a blessing, maybe this shoud be done off line.

Ralph Izard
Ok. And let's now get this topic away from modern politics and back to ancient Greece or the founding of a (Greek) hoplite association. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Indeed... and DEEPLY SORRY if I WAS responsible for that...

Regards.
aka Romilos

"
Well, well….

That outcome was something of a surprise. Ok, it appears that as most Greeks are away for summer vacations this thread should be left to rest also for the next 10 days or so, if that is ok with our dear Mods

As far as I’m concerned though we don’t need any ministry backing us up to enjoy our hobby the way we like it, even if that means that we’ll be psiloi for many years to come Big Grin

By the way Lupus, I’m buying coffee. PM me and we can talk some more, that goes for any other Athenian who reads this and is interest in joining in.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Ok, it appears that as most Greeks are away for summer vacations

WHICH exactly you mean? The "fortune" VERY FEW ones? These ones that CAN AFFORT to spend some money to go somewhere?

I'm going to see the "MAGNA GRECIA" Ancient Hellenic City-States, this August... I'll be in a FOREIGN country for 9 days, with 650 EUROS each person...
SAME date, SAME days, in a Greek island, we needs DOUBLE number of money; I'm talking about GREEK spends... For foreign people, Greek islands are VERY CHEEP!

(BTW - thanks for the invitation... I'm living in Ag. Paraskeui, Athens... You?)
aka Romilos

"
Lupus I've sent you a PM.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Lupus I've sent you a PM.

And I responded...
aka Romilos

"
Contact us for any help or any other issue
Themistoklis papadopoulos
<a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megistiasanaparastashmaxon/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megistias ... tashmaxon/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ancientgreekmapsandmore/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/ancientgreekmapsandmore/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Olvios300">http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Olvios300
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mapsoftheancientworld/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/mapsoftheancientworld/
Hello My Greek Friends!
I was in Athens a couple of times, and was quite dissappointed not to be able to find any authentic, wearable hoplite reproductions while Iwas there! ( I finally sucumbed to the temptation and bought the tourist version of the corinthian helmet in the Plaka! Boy, was I dissappointed when I got back to the hotel and found it was too small to wear!!!!

I think it would be a great idea to form a re-enactment group in athens, I often fantasised about doing just that when I finally manage to buy a home in Greece!

Anyway, good luck, and try looking at Manning Imperial on the website. So far the best corinthian helmet recronstruction I have seen .
Maybe will do group discounts?

Sincerely

Byron Angel(opoulos)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well if it consoles you I’m in the same boat. But this is a hobby not a full 5 to 9 job. Pleasure and leisure is the goal. Of course if someone knows a useful trade, like shield making why not to use it to earn a Mna (Euro)?

So come all lazy Athenians! Let’s set a meeting in the Agora, watered wine on the house.

Go, Spyros! Iou, iou!
Well, Athenians were ALWAYS lay guys...
... so meeting in Agora, doesn't mean that we're not gonna take.. a nap! :lol:
aka Romilos

"