Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPIC MOVIE QUIZ
Here are some lines from Roman epic movies.

What films are they from and who said them. If you do not know the actor the character will do.Bucketloads of laudes points for any correct answers.

Here goes

1. "A lesson to remember - never fall in love during a total eclipse."

2. "My lady as always your lightest touch commands obedience."

3. "....out of the patchwork of conquest, one world, out of one world, one nation, one people on earth living in peace."

4. "it vexes me....i'am terribly vexed."

5."You all look very splendid, anyone of you could be king."

6."Don't put them in those suffocating tunics, let them wear.... just enough for modesty."

7."Where there is greatness, great government or power, even great feeling or compassion, error is also great. We progress and mature by fault."

8." After nearly thirty years of marriage to Julia my approaching death holds few terrors for me."

9." I speak only of Rome. And when I say Rome I mean the world."

10." I fear the glory of Rome will never be fully reached again.....Babylon, Egypt, Greece, Rome, what follows.....a more permanent world I hope or a more permanent faith."

11." To be born in your reign is a miscalculation. But to die in it is a joy."

12." Dignity and honesty in one afternoon.....I hardly recognize you."

13." Barbaric city but fascinating or was until we destroyed it..... now it is nothing but ashes."

14."Our legions stand guard on the boundaries of civilization from the foggy coasts of Britain to the ancient rivers of Babylon, the finest fighting machines in history."

15." I knew a man who once said death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

16."Politics is a practical profession. If a criminal has what you want you do business with him."

17." Rome is an affront to God. Rome is strangling my people and my country. But not forever:and I tell you the day Rome falls there will be a shout of freedom the world has never heard before."

18."There boy is Rome. The might, the majesty, the terror of Rome. There is the power which bestrides the known world like a colossus. No man can withstand Rome, no nation can withstand her. How much less...a boy."

19."It is no accident that one small village on the Tibur was chosen to rule the world. It wasn't just our Legions.......no it was fate that chose us to civilize the world and we have."

20. The grown man knows the world he lives in and for the present the world is Rome."

21." Being a Christian these days in Rome is anything but dull."

22. "There is your great Roman army......bought for a handful of gold."

23. "I have seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and dark. Rome is the light."

24." The emperor does not approve of your countrymen. There is rebellion in the wind. It will be crushed."

25." My loyal guards. By your sullen attitude here today you have questioned steps which I have found it necessary to take, in order to preserve the imperial dignity. Now I will show you proof that my actions were justified. That treason is everywhere. That it has even shown it's face amongst those who have sworn to protect my person. In your own ranks. Let what you see now be a lesson... to all among you who fail in their loyalty to their emperor."

26." There are too many small men of envy and ambition who try to disrupt the government of Rome.

27." If both men are down and refuse to continue the fight your trainer will slit your throats like chickens. We want no tricks."

28."Corpulence makes a man reasonable, pleasant and phlegmatic. Haven't you noticed that the nastiest of tyrants are invariably thin."

29." Equality, freedom, peace. Who is it that uses these words but Greeks and Jews and slaves?"

30." People should know when they are conquered."

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I only know the ones from Gladiator...I'm not a big roman movie buff. 8)

2. "My lady as always your lightest touch commands obedience." Senator Grachus, Gladiator

4. "it vexes me....i'am terribly vexed." Commodus, Gladiator

15." I knew a man who once said death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back." Maximus, Gladiator

23. "I have seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and dark. Rome is the light." Maximus, Gladiator

30." People should know when they are conquered." Quintus, Gladiator

Legion: TBD
Quote:I only know the ones from Gladiator

As I can see from your tagline! Big Grin
"Sometimes I do what I want to do, most of the time, I do what I have to."

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
28."Corpulence makes a man reasonable, pleasant and phlegmatic.
Haven't you noticed that the nastiest of tyrants are invariably thin."
Senator Gracchus, Charles Laughton, in Spartacus!!!
Jona
(125 kg)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Great Quiz Graham.

I think some must be from Fall Of The Roman Empire and perhaps The Robe or Sign Of The Cross, however, I really only recognize the ones from Spartacus.

#6 Spartacus At the Gladiatorial School Joanna Barnes (as Claudia) to Peter Ustinov (as Lentulus Batiatus)

#12 Spartacus in Rome Charles Laughton (as Gracchus) to Peter Ustinov (as Lentulus Batiatus)

#16 Spartacus in Rome at the baths Charles Laughton (as Gracchus) to John Gavin (as Gaius Julius Caesar)

#18 Spartacus in Rome Laurence Olivier (as Carssus) to Tony Curtis (as Antoninus "Singer of songs.")

#27 Spartacus at the Gladiatorial School Nina Foch (as Helena) to Peter Ustinov (as Batiatus)

#28 Spartacus in Rome at the home of Gracchus Charles Laughton (as Gracchus) to Peter Ustinov (as Batiatus)

#26 and #30 both sound familiar, but I can not place them, and although I have seen several "Roman epics" I do not know them well enough, more's the pity. :oops:

This was fun -- thanks again! Smile ) )

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
10, 11 QVO VANTIS

16 Grackhus in Spartacus

22 The fall of the Roman Empire (on which Gladiator was based)

25 Caligula to the Pretorians -ChitonII
Well done chaps all correct so far. Narukami obviously a "Spartacus" fan!
Hoplite 14gr 25. yes Chiton II = Robe 2 better known as "Demetrius and the Gladiators" I will accept that but you need to add the character/actor for 10,11and 22.

Graham.

Ben Hur's in there I'm sure :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Ben Hur's in there I'm sure

You are quite right Jim it is but which ones?

Nearly seventy views but only five replies and I thought RATers claimed to know about Roman movies!

Graham.

I do not to answer any questions about Ben Hur on principle! :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
A man must stick to his principles - and explain. Is it because
(1) Ben Hur is a bad movie
(2) Because Ben Hur in Dutch means "I am a prostitute?"
The following is certainly from Ben Hur:
26. "There are too many small men of envy and ambition who try to disrupt the government of Rome" Pontius Pilate (Frank Thring)

Plus:

1. "A lesson to remember - never fall in love during a total eclipse." Senex (Michael Hordern) in Something Funny Happened to Me on my Way to the Forum.
Jona Lendering
My website
(3) Ben Hur is singlehandedly responsible for the continuing myth about galleyslaves in the Roman navy.
But (2) is a pretty good reason too :lol:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:17. Rome is an affront to God. Rome is strangling my people and my country. But not forever:and I tell you the day Rome falls there will be a shout of freedom the world has never heard before.

- Ben Hur
Martin
20. "The grown man knows the world he lives in and for the present the world is Rome" Pontius Pilate (Frank Thring) in Ben Hur

7. "Where there is greatness, great government or power, even great feeling or compassion, error is also great. We progress and mature by fault." Pontius Pilate (Frank Thring) in Ben Hur

5."You all look very splendid, anyone of you could be king."
Rex Harrison as Caesar in Cleopatra
Jona Lendering
My website
Don't know whether these have been answered already or not.

1. Just a guess: Barabbas (Anthony Quinn) in Barabbas? The crucifixion scene (and the scene where Barabbas gets drunk etc.) was filmed during a total eclipse.

11. Definitely Petronius (Leo Genn) to Nero (Ustinov) in his goodbye letter in the 1951 Quo Vadis version.

24. Messala (Stephen Boyd) to Ben Hur (Heston) in Ben Hur.
Aka
Christoph