Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scorpio, et al, Bolt Heads- Pictures, Measurements Anyone?
Since I just discovered I can make accurate socketed pilum shanks, it's occurred to me that I can therefore also forge catapult bolt heads- the only trouble is that I have no images or dimensions of real ones, and since I always try to make things as authentically as I can, that's a problem. Does anyone have any details that they can share- I can't find anything useful with Google...

Thanks.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Best place for pictures and dimensions I think would be the Dura Europos final Report - Simon James.

If you don't have it, I could email the info to you.
Remember, the Dura "bolt" heads are for the late iron-framed ballista.

If you're thinking of the arrow-shooting catapult of the High Empire -- the scorpio or catapulta -- Vindolanda springs to mind (although the catapult arrow-heads there have been disputed).

The clearest examples of ammunition for the arrow-shooting catapult (as opposed to the arrow-shooting ballista, if you follow me) are the ones from Ephyra (Greece), because they were found alongside catapult parts (so are pretty likely to be the real thing).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Actually, yes, it is the earlier Scorpiones, etc. that I'm thinking of. I recall seeing an excavated skeleton with a bolt head embedded in one of its thoracic or lumbar vertebrae and a skull with a sqare hole denoting a possible bolt hit. I have the Vindonissa Katalog diagrams, but they show what are bladed, socketed heads that may or may not be from scorpio bolts. I'm thinking of the pyrimidal-headed type...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Here's an example from Vindolanda to get you started, Matt.
Dietwulf Baatz expressed the belief that it was a javelin-head, because artillery shouldn't be present in an auxiliary fort, but it certainly has the general form of a scorpio arrowhead.
[Image: 190091432_ce3dd31d65.jpg]
Overall length is 100mm, with a weight of 39g, so it's quite a small example, perhaps intended for a 3-span.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
That's excellent- just what I need, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ballista bolt MDF 14 4,806 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Last Post: MDF