Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: what roman movie should you like to see made?
Nevermind if it's a loose of money, as an artistic expression, a movie showing the decadence of a lost emperor, would be amazing if it's well done... but as you said, any moment or caracter should have been interesting as well...

I find this figure atracting, maybe because I have allways seen christianity (and all strong religions in general) as the cause of mankind's disgraces...(that doesn't mean I'm atheist or non-spiritual*, there's nothing to do with that) but I'm thinking from a 2005 point of view, after all of modern religion struggles: inquisition, intollerance, puritanism,witch hunt, fanatism, martyrdom...etc, and I realize that from the same Julian's point of view, that was completely upside-down, he was the conservative!

*And WHAT if I were?!!

What Brainwash huh?! :roll: :wink:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Nevermind if it's a loose of money, as an artistic expression, a movie showing the decadence of a lost emperor, would be amazing if it's well done

Well, if we don't take money-making into account, the genre suffers Sad .
But, yes, I would watch almost any Roman movie nonetheless...

Quote:I find this figure atracting, maybe because I have allways seen christianity (and all strong religions in general) as the cause of mankind's disgraces

How you've come to this conclusion,FAVENTIANVS, is perplexing to me....

More people died in the 20th century which outnumber the deaths from wars in ALL the previous centuries COMBINED Confusedhock: . No religous wars in the 20th century (the bloodiest), that I'm aware of, took place :? . Mao, Stalin, and Hitler (plus many more lesser tyrants) were all atheists. I think you may see my point if you look from a more comprehensive perspective.

Quote:inquisition, intollerance, puritanism,witch hunt, fanatism, martyrdom...etc

I don't think paganism has a better track record. All the struggles you mention existed in Pagan Rome as well. I don't see why you think Julian is a better man. I can think of better pagans to admire.
Jaime
8)

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote: Tell me what justice paganism h've don in all centuries? And personaly I included all those suposely Roman cristians fanatics, who kill in the name of God in all centuries, those never convert to God, Starting with Constantine the roman Emp. He really never change or convert to God, but insted he permit pagans to worship their pagans gods with cristian names and never persecute both groups.

Pagan religion was superseded by pagan philosophy, since the Olympian religion did not provide people with an ethical code of conduct.

Traditional paganism had no concept of charity, unlike Christianity.

FAVENTIANVS, you seem to not distinguish between Christianity and bad Christians. The religion itself is sound, but only a tiny percentage actually subscribe to it completely (I believe this is true for all religions at all times in history). So when someone says that there were so many evil Christians in history, he has to realize that that person's actions may not reflect Christian morality.

Romus, you mention Constantine not changing after accepting Christianity. Well, remember he wasn't actually baptized until he was on his death bed. Besides, if you're looking for good Christian role models, you won't find them in plenty among monarchs and emperors. That's what the Saints are for. Although there were some saintly monarchs, too.

I know this is off-topic, but I hate to leave things hanging unresolved Wink
Jaime
8)

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Theodosius, Well, what to say... about 20th century's wars, there were more population than in earlier periods, and more mass destructive weapons, so more people died. I'm sure that if the papal army from XVIth century had had those killing capacity, the results would have been worst than WWII.
I don't think Hitler was athiest, in fact, he was pagan... or something like that, though he practized all spiritism he could in spite of winning the war... :roll:
You're right in saying that there are bad people what ever they believe or not... but I can't help looking at institutionalized religion with no confidence at all... specialy the Vatican... or Islamic republics.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
(blanked out - nothing here)
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Guys, remember this is the thread for wanted movies, not about religious wars or unwanted world politics..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Noted - sorry.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Hadrian:3e0ckcr2 Wrote:for a movie about Caesar:
Caesar - Ralph Fiennes
Pompeius - Harvey Keitel
Crassus - Ian McDiarmid
Vercingetorix - Ewan McGregor
Ariovist - William Fichtner
Cleopatra - Penelope Cruz

Hmmmm now were getting somewhere not bad group alesia would make excellent battle for end of movie. and this would be the gallic wars alot of good stuff.

Well, Ewan McGregor would certainly make a better Vercingetorix than Christopher Lambert (from an acting point of view, at least), I don't think I know who the others are, but . . . Penelope Cruz as Cleopatra!? I'd rather have a good actress for the role. . . Maybe Keira Knightly could do a nice (and hot!) Cleopatra; Jodie Foster could make a good role as well... Nicole Kidman is both pretty and good actress, although I think Cleaopatra wasn't actually too hot herself. . . anyway. . .

anyway . . . salue!
Episkopos P. Lilius Frugius Simius Excalibor, :. V. S. C., Pontifex Maximus, Max Disc Eccl
David S. de Lis - my blog: <a class="postlink" href="http://praeter.blogspot.com/">http://praeter.blogspot.com/