Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RTR Addiction?
This is probably more psychology, but if one cancels a date with an extremely attractive girl to play RTR (Rome: Total Realism), does that qualify as an addiction? haha.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Quote:This is probably more psychology, but if one cancels a date with an extremely attractive girl to play RTR (Rome: Total Realism), does that qualify as an addiction? haha.

I got in trouble with my girlfriend yesterday when I promised I'd be at her place 'later this afternoon' and ended up playing RTW - Europa Barbarorum until 5pm. I was trying to fight to win the last province I needed to achieve my victory conditions as Carthage, but failed to make it before the Ptolomaic Kingdom achieved theirs first. To make matters worse, they won by conquering one of my African provinces.

Then I got a call from my (now rather irate) girl to the effect that 5 pm was not 'later this afternoon' and that I shouldn't bother coming around at all.

Double ouch.

Some fast talking and a strategic bunch of flowers later, and the girlfriend situation was resolved. But I'm still bummed at losing to those slimy Egyptians ...

And I knew I couldn't explain to my girlfriend that I'd let time get away from me because I was engrossed in a titanic struggle with the Germanic Sweboz federation involving some incredible set-piece battles north of the Julian Alps. I'd still be in the dog-house now if I'd tried that ... :roll:
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Quote:This is probably more psychology, but if one cancels a date with an extremely attractive girl to play RTR (Rome: Total Realism), does that qualify as an addiction? haha.
You really did that?! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Actually one needs two lifes...one for games and one for...life.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
No, that's not enough to qualify. Sorry. Playing Civilization II for 30 hours, without sleep, that's approaching real addiction.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
While we still wait in desperation for the release of RTR 7.0 I was toying with the idea of giving the Europa Barbarorum Mod a shot. Is it better than the current available RTR Gold? What are the major differences between both Mods?
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
A lot of girl friends don’t realize the importance of saving the known world. Somebody has to do it. So on behalf of the town and cities that now see the light of the Roman way, Thanks.
Steve
You big bunch of sad lads :wink:

30 hours on Civilisation?! I couldn't keep my eyes open for 30 minutes!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:A lot of girl friends don’t realize the importance of saving the known world. Somebody has to do it. So on behalf of the town and cities that now see the light of the Roman way, Thanks.
Haha that's perfect dude.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Quote:While we still wait in desperation for the release of RTR 7.0 I was toying with the idea of giving the Europa Barbarorum Mod a shot. Is it better than the current available RTR Gold? What are the major differences between both Mods?
I honestly can't tell ya, I wanted to try it out too, but I started playing Total Realism and couldn't quit. Oh and RTR 7.0 will probably be the end of my social life as we know it. If my computer dispensed food and beverage, I'd lead Roman armies all day. haha.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Quote:
Tiberius Martius:3gbwir77 Wrote:This is probably more psychology, but if one cancels a date with an extremely attractive girl to play RTR (Rome: Total Realism), does that qualify as an addiction? haha.
No, that's not enough to qualify. Sorry. Playing Civilization II for 30 hours, without sleep, that's approaching real addiction.
Wow...that's impressive man.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Quote:While we still wait in desperation for the release of RTR 7.0 I was toying with the idea of giving the Europa Barbarorum Mod a shot. Is it better than the current available RTR Gold? What are the major differences between both Mods?

I've played both and both are pretty good. I prefer EB because many of the skins are much more accurate and the names of the factions and leaders are all very well researched.

I'm currently working with the 'Sweboz'/Germanic team to make that faction even more accurate. We're reducing the number of units with swords, giving a lot of the shields wooden bosses, introducing bone-headed spears for poorer warriors, cutting down on the numbers of axes used and including wooden clubs.

In terms of gameplay and recruitment, both are far better than vanilla RTW. Winning battles against equal-sized or superior forces is very hard in both and holding down conquered territory without giving good reasons not to rebel is very difficult. Raising and maintaining new units is also much more expensive and difficult, so rasing vast armies and sweeping all before you is difficult to do without going totally bankrupt.
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
I played both too, and Darth Mod as well, and I have to say that to me EB AI is the weakest, OTOH Darth Mod had the best AI but historically is very poor, RTR is somewhere in the middle.
AKA Inaki
Quote:
Ebusitanus:1lx7wqxr Wrote:While we still wait in desperation for the release of RTR 7.0 I was toying with the idea of giving the Europa Barbarorum Mod a shot. Is it better than the current available RTR Gold? What are the major differences between both Mods?

I've played both and both are pretty good. I prefer EB because many of the skins are much more accurate and the names of the factions and leaders are all very well researched.

I'm currently working with the 'Sweboz'/Germanic team to make that faction even more accurate. We're reducing the number of units with swords, giving a lot of the shields wooden bosses, introducing bone-headed spears for poorer warriors, cutting down on the numbers of axes used and including wooden clubs.

In terms of gameplay and recruitment, both are far better than vanilla RTW. Winning battles against equal-sized or superior forces is very hard in both and holding down conquered territory without giving good reasons not to rebel is very difficult. Raising and maintaining new units is also much more expensive and difficult, so rasing vast armies and sweeping all before you is difficult to do without going totally bankrupt.
That sounds awesome. You'll have to let me know when that becomes available.
Tiberius Martius
Rob
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV
Ah yes the powers of gaming over the masses. Yes that would be considered an addiction. I would know from experience. I too play RTW, but I dont let it run my life. At one time Civilization 3 and Age of Empires (all of them) ran my life. We should start some sort of AA group for gamers.
"I fear no enemy for the Legion is my strength. I fear not death for my strength is eternal."

Ben Geraci

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete PC Addiction M.ilionario 2 1,322 09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale