Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conjectural Republican Pectorale
Avete omnes,

Here's another piece I've just finished- it's a Republican hastatus' copper alloy pectorale or kardyothorax. It's a custom piece based on one shown in a beautiful Angus McBride painting. I look at it as a sort of hybrid between the super simple pectorale as depicted by most based on the very general description of the armor by Polybius (Histories, book 6). The straps are hypothetical but based on those of the provocator gladiator type who also wore a pectorale- possibly based on the old soldier's armor. They cross at the back and are secured with buckles based on a real Roman type. As various artifact pieces of soldiers arms and equipment show names having been marked with a series of punched dots, this was done on the pectorale in the style observed on the Guttmann 'Iulius Mansuetius' Niederbieber helmet.

The 'muscles' turned-out so nicely that I REALLY want to have a go at a full muscled cuirass... Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi Matt,

brilliant work, as usual! What did you use for the repousse work - pitch for repousse work (don't know what that is actually called in English) or something else?
Thanks Martin Smile

Pitch is correct- although I only used it for the nipples and navel, the muscles were done using a wooden dishing form. I did virtually no hammerwork on the exerior face, it was all from the inside, save for the nipples and navel, and those only got a little chasing to define them.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ok, thanks for the details!
Wow, beautiful work, Matt!

Looks similar to examples of the type I have here...

Could you PM me with a rough price estimate for say the one illustrated in black and white? thanks...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks Dan and thanks for pointing out that stuff on your site- I've visited it before and was thrilled with the excellent images of full muscled cuirasses, but hadn't seen these small ones- it's really nice to know that the one I made isn't quite so conjectural afterall Big Grin

Sent you a PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conjectural Centurion Crest Magnus 1 1,158 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  In search of Pectorale... Gaius Marius Cingetorix 14 3,252 10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt