Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the step child of vexilla....but shes all mine
attached is a vexilla for the LEGIIAPF , i made this thing over the last three days when i had a spare minute, mind you im deployed to afghanistan so i dont have much to work with, some paper, markers and wood, i need a spear point yet i think im going to bust up a paki blade from the bazaar, it sure beats the tinfoil i was toying around with using, thats silver nail polish on the pendants and such, and a pipe cleaner for the little doohickey on the haft that ive yet to find a name for....a better ones comming but i just thought a few of you might appreciate this one,lol...my team leader doesnt so muchWink
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Not bad at all, Petrininus! the look is as good as many I've seen, and nobody should fault your dedication.

BTW, thank you for your service.

Keep your eyes open, and your head down.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
PETRININUS,

Looks great considering your situation. Since you have access to the bazzars there have you considered seeking out a smith?

Maybe you could have some items reproduced there and make some money on the side????

Anyways thanks for your service, and be safe!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
i thank you kindly for your compliments, i really am a much more accomplished artsit but time and materials arent something i have alot of right now, when i get home i want to craft a masterpiece and a signa and aquilla to follow.

so your from austin, near austin? where?....i live in killeen tx, maybe we can visit sometime, discuss the glory that is rome, i'll bring the vino?! always looking to make new friends and meet interesting people, too few have an appreciation or passion for antiquity.
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Looks better than anything I've seen used in a movie! Nice work!

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
primvs pavlvs, i dont have that much time brother but a good thought indeed, and our bazaar here is like three shops and a bakery, some wood workers and an afghan pool hall, but its not pool, they call it "nookers", somethin like that
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Quote:so your from austin, near austin? where?....
I live a few miles outside of Manor, which is about 10 miles east of Austin on Hwy 290. Once upon a dim time ago I lived in Harker Heights, worked at Murphy's Chicken on Call as a delivery driver and drove all over Ft Hood to take chicken, sandwiches and pizza to the people there.

When you get back stateside let me know, and we'll definitely get together. We're in a Celt reenactment group, and a Roman civilian group, and have now started a Gladiator group. All using soft weapons at this time, but the gladiators will gradually work up towards using live, blunt steel. Wood next, as skills and equipment improve.

I'm all for getting together then. Let's do it? You got a Mrs and kids? I have one still at home...maybe we could come up your way and visit one of the museums on the Fort (I guess that would be boring for you, but not for us...) go somewhere for some decent chow and get acquainted. All good stuff.

I don't plan to be in Afghanistan any time this century, so I guess we should meet here, eh? Big Grin
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
demetrius

yes i have a mrs, recently married actualy. sounds good and i never find a museum to be a bore! i'll be in touch

salve
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
ive actually crafted a spear tip and mounted it, itlooks better yet, and then i mounted it on a base and have it sitting above my desk here at the fob. i was going to go the paki blade method but they just didnt resemble the traditional spears so i used printer paper and a manilla folder with a glue stick and some more of my team mates silver nail polish (yeah shes a female else thatd be "silly" im sure) hey gotta do what you can do out here, not like we have a craft store at the bazaar, though i could maybe buy some fabric and replace the banner which is after all paper but then where am i gonna get milk paints here? lol
any way i'll post the new pics and thanks for everyone whos given me any praise on this my first vexilla, and i hope everyone who looked atleast enjoyed it. the next one will be most excellent i assure you!
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
You might try bringing back some natural dyes, Jason, if you could find them via your local contacts.

Sort of having an Egypt flashback... ah, bazaar shopping. Sights and smells... a bit of sensory overload.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
i wish i had more time at the big bazaar, the one i reference is this little cluster of shops all selling the same pirated dvd's, hygenic items, candy, soda, junk jewelry, and fake antique weaponry and press metal knives...disappointing to say the least. they do have nice fabrics, blamkets and incense. the suger bread is good too from the bakery and the baloni, thats good too. if we can ver get some time on target in the bigger cities id like to seriously shop the bazaar more but its always a quick hit for us, when we actualy go there. egypt huh? wow, after our trip to italy thats next for us....i just bought a ptolemaic isis staue for my wife ... shes amazing(they both are)
-Jason

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valkenburg/Castleford style caliga step by step Martin Moser 121 45,109 02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sutoris
  HOW TO Cover your Canteen with Rope:Step By Step Iulia Cassia Vegetia 1 1,529 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar