Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The phalanx\'s mule
Charete Filoi,

I was thinking, (I do that sometimes) that certainly hoplites, peltasts, psiloi and ekdromoi are all fine and good, but an army marches with its stomach. So how about this most important part of any Greek army, Skeuoforos the baggage carrier?
[Image: Baggage1.jpg]
So far, and also thanks to Stefanos, I’ve discovered two authors providing us with details about what baggage carriers actually carried. Xenophon is one, and strangely enough Aristophanes.

Of course both authors description must be taken with a pinch of salt. Xenophon because he describes what the “perfect” army should carry, and Aristophanes because in “Acharnes” describes the contents of Lamachus (a General) food basket.

From representations what appears to be the base of the baggage kit was a wooden frame or yoke called “Gylios” (A of the diagram).
Sorry about the poor quality I’m not very good at this sort of thinks.

[Image: Baggage4.jpg]
Over the “Y” end of the Gylios the beddings (B of the diagram) were strapped. The beddings themselves could be used as carrying space. Inside or strapped on them, According to Xenophon, one could carry pottery, a mill for flour medical supplies and so on. I do not know what one could use for bedding. Blankets are a possibility, goat skins (very warm and comfortable by the way)

On the other end, a basket carrying food supplies was suspended. What was actually carried was a matter of personal wealth and preference. On the start of a campaign the city would ordain for how many days supplies should be carried.
Barley was certainly carried as it was the base of their diet. Also onions, preserved fish or meat (rarely), salt, figs and other dried fruits perhaps. Fig and grape leaves were used to wrap the food.

Canteens made from caly were also carried.
An interesting datum about Aegeanitic clay. It is very porous and the pots made from it “sweat”. For that reasons they were used up until 50 years ago to cool water in the Athenian houses. They would place them in the northern windows and would take advantage of the summer breeze effectively creating a water cooler.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Spyros an excellent topic to discuss. However, I was under the impression the Gylios was actually the basket. I love the figure of the skeuoforos you have posted. He looks like a travelling salesman with all that gear.

My favourite water canteen is Harvard 1925.30.15, I know its a Red Figure Apulian work of art from between 400 and 450 but I haven't come across a greek image yet.
Peter Raftos
Hi Peter. Lovely canteen indeed. Smile

About the Gylios think. Ehmmmmm....... :oops:
You are right. Sorry. It is indeed the food container.

Another representation of the sceuophoros from Louvre.
[Image: Baggage2.jpg]

What is probably the handle of the yoke is visible.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Gylios to the Spartans was the wicker or wooden frame prettymuch like the modern "Bergen pack" of the commandoes. Xenophon in his Ellinika gives a descrption I think.

Kind regards
Kalyste Stefane always helpfull and laconic. Smile wink: ?

I would apreciate it if you could provide me with a refernce from Xenophon.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Mmmm now I am confused. :oops: The Liddel Scott describes it as a long necked leather bag. I wonder where the notion it was a wicker basket comes from? I think I read about it in an Osprey title. nThat will teach me to do my own research first. :lol:
Peter Raftos
No don't be. Gylios is anything that could be used as a traveling bag/basket/satchel. Maybe in time it's meaning included the baggage as a whole.

Also, I'm certain I saw somewhere on a sculpture a bag similar to the ones legionaires carried. It could well be from roman times but does anyone has more info about it?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Something that I thought would be usefull.

Steven Presfield in his "Gates of Fire" gives an aexcellent description on what was carried in a campaign. His description is based on Xenophon.
Quote:For myself, I had stripped shoeless and rolled my cloak into a shoulder
pad; my master's shield I bore in its hide case, along with his greaves and breastplate weighing
something over sixty-five pounds, plus both our bedding and field kit, my own weapons, three
quivers of ironheads wrapped in oiled goatskin and sundry other necessaries and indispensables:
"fishhooks" and catgut; bags of medicinal herbs, hellebore and foxglove, euphorbia and sorrel
and marjoram and pine resin; arterial straps, bindings for the hand, compresses of linen, the
bronze "dogs" to heat and jam into puncture wounds to cauterize the flesh, "irons" to do the same
for surface lacerations; soap, footpads, moleskins, sewing kit; then the cooking gear, a spit, a pot,
a handmill, flint and firesticks; grit-and-oil for polishing bronze, oilcloth fly for rain, the
combination pick and shovel called from its shape a hyssax, the soldier's crude term for the
female orifice. This in addition to rations: unmilled barley, onions and cheese, garlic, figs,
smoked goat meat; plus money, charms, talismans.

Of course I doudt that there would be a lot of common hoplites who could afford the expence of all this. But, I'm thinking that most of the non perishable metal items could be pased from father to son etc. So the persentage of the full kit owners could be high. Again it's only specualtion on my part 8)
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Spyros,

The Hoplite Association had a number of clay canteens made last year and I believe there are still some available. They are ,however, quite expensive, at £25. Perhaps you can find a cheaper source in Greece. years ago, I had a wooden one, which is far more practical, but my wife made me throw it out before I became a hoplite!

I have a terracotta ewer which does the same simple cooling-by-evaporation job as you mention, it's great for events.
Hi Paul.

I think I've seen some in Monastiaki. But most of them are painted and exact museum replikas, so they are more expencive. But on Semptember I'm going to Syfnos island which has some excellent poterers. Maybe I can find something there.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
I hope you may.
Me and Spyros went in Agora meuseum today.
Walking through the tourst shops of Plaka we "landed" on a meusum replica of an archaic period canteen (50 Euro). Hopes he makes photo.
Kind regards
Quote:Me and Spyros went in Agora meuseum today.
Walking through the tourst shops of Plaka we "landed" on a meusum replica of an archaic period canteen (50 Euro). Hopes he makes photo.
Kind regards

At that price, Stefane, you'd do better to buy one of ours and paint it yourself, if we could arrange to deliver it free of postage. And that's a possibility, if you're prepared to wait.
One of the canteens we had made up for us in the sydney ancients.
A potter made the canteen for us and Birka traders did the furniture and fittings.
Ok. It looks better than mine.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian