Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Greek warrior impression
Magnificent, Giannis! If only you'd had it to wear at Plataea!

Next year...
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
How did it feel in the sun? The helmet especially? bearable?
That is the Manning helmet? Awesome!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I love the colours, the olives, and the impression looks right. You are the right age and build Smile .
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Oooohh! Those pics gave me chills! Excellent!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Next time we'll be there, too...

Congratulations
FROESSEL
Hey,thanks for the good comments guys!
Kineas,i was always thinking of it in my way to Athens,but...next time.
The helmet...well it was bearable but i would have to stay more to tell you. I found more frustrating the sweat that was running into my eyes and the difficulty to wipe it away. Actually my sweat is visible in the last of the three photos i posted here.Also,after ten minutes my padding cap consisting of thick felt with a wooly cover(the one that is producing the dots,my interpretation of the Achilles cap) was completely wet. But i didn't find the heat unbearable. I was feeling it more on my arms (sun rays are dangerous these days). I had brought a chlamys with me,but i didn't even think to wear it.
John,i didn't know there is a right age for hoplites...i mean anyone between 18-60 should be in :-) )
Now something about crests.
If i wan't sure i would fight in an open plain,i would avoid it. Under that ollive tree it was being frustrating,it was being cought on the branches all the time. Also it adds considerable weight. But i wold probably wear it in an open farm in a pitched battle if the my servant was carrying either it or all the helmet till the last moment.
And something about sandals.
I didn't have any. At first i couldn't doa step. Christian you can imagine how it was...an uncultivated farm like those in Plataia,only to these you should add the dry fallen olive leaves. The become very hard,they turn and become pointy and sharp. I was rulling out the possibility of them fighting barefoot. But this was initially. After the first tries of shots with me having to walk fast back and forth i got used quickly. Perhaps i got used to hurt! Anyway,after half an hour or so i was looking dow and was realizing "ah,i'm sitting on a spiky little bush!" I believe someone who has spent his life walking barefoot wouldn't have any issue to fight in there. And remember,it was an uncultivated place. farms are usually much smoother,as i was actually working barefoot on my farm as a test last year. Again,my biggest issue then was the heat of the ground and not the surface. And i repeat,my feet are nothing like hardenned.
I believe shoes and sandals were for few and again only used in long travels(travellers are always shown with high sandals and socks) and in the town,where someone would have to avoid the dirty streets.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Great Pics Giannis!

I particularly love the olives in the background, and the tales of your feet.

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
Quote:Hey,thanks for the good comments guys!

John,i didn't know there is a right age for hoplites...i mean anyone between 18-60 should be in :-) )

Khairete
Giannis

ive 8 years left in me them before i have the next generation of hoplites at my feet whilst i pontificate :lol:
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Kineas, I found this Youtube video on Greek Hoplite vs Roman Legionair, I recognized your shield so I gues its you we see fighting here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81Oc0-j ... r_embedded
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Our latest Plataean Hoplite (borrowed aspis--but his is complete as a blank in the shop ready for porpax and paint!)

Greg Hauser--Rochester NY
[Image: 3761416481_345e677bdc.jpg?v=0]
Greg built our first all leather spola--black dyed veg tanned cowhide with bronze fittings by Aurora. Black leather dye--walnut hulls and iron filings--is a contemporary color, although I suspect not a very common one...but there is at least one arming scene with a black spola.
Quote:I didn't have any. At first i couldn't doa step. Christian you can imagine how it was...an uncultivated farm like those in Plataia,only to these you should add the dry fallen olive leaves. The become very hard,they turn and become pointy and sharp. I was rulling out the possibility of them fighting barefoot. But this was initially. After the first tries of shots with me having to walk fast back and forth i got used quickly. Perhaps i got used to hurt! Anyway,after half an hour or so i was looking dow and was realizing "ah,i'm sitting on a spiky little bush!" I believe someone who has spent his life walking barefoot wouldn't have any issue to fight in there. And remember,it was an uncultivated place. farms are usually much smoother,as i was actually working barefoot on my farm as a test last year. Again,my biggest issue then was the heat of the ground and not the surface. And i repeat,my feet are nothing like hardenned.
I believe shoes and sandals were for few and again only used in long travels(travellers are always shown with high sandals and socks) and in the town,where someone would have to avoid the dirty streets.

I do believe it. When we were fighting in June, we all ended up barefoot, despite some serious wheat stubble in the fields--I had the same experience, with initial pains and then forgetting. The Spartan shoes will help, but I made thme mostly because our current Roman adversaries have hobnails and I got my worst injury form hobnails to the top of the foot--not a period problem, I suspect!

Anyway, great look, Giannis, and very dramatic.
Greg looks pretty convincing.....definately a formidable hoplite!
I like the black theme!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi!

I have been out for a while, but I want to send congratulations to all these wonderful impressions! Gianni, great pics with the olive tree behind you! very mediterranean look Big Grin
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
The best meditteranean look that I can hope to achieve in Central Europe is to take my pictures in a pizzeria Smile
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Yanni you have propably the best chiton i ve ever seen in reenactment. It folds like the ones in the vases instead of being bulky and cumbersome like many others i ve seen. Is this happening because of the way you wear it, the fablic, or it has different shape?
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wigs good for Greek hoplite impression? dienekes7 0 433 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice. JanasAurora 3 4,499 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: TemenosL.1991
  Show here your Byzantine warrior impression Robert Vermaat 86 82,334 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk