Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Greek warrior impression
Great pics..!
Thanks for sharing..!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Hi all there!
My name is Giannis,Greek who lives in Greece.I'm a new member,this is my first post in RAT.I've been following the discussions for a long time,though...
Stefanos has posted some photos of my hoplite kit in this thread previously.Let me present some of my work so far here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kadoglou_ ... /my_photos
looking forward for good or bad comments(good ones are always encouraging but bad ones are always more useful... :wink: )
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Gianni, welcome aboard! It's always a pleasure seeing more patriotes joining our ranks!

Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Welcome Giannis!
I really like your sling! The woven pocket is really nice. Is it made out of wool? I'm a Greek wannabe slinger in Tennessee. Here is my sling.
Johnny
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/ ... sling2.jpg
Johnny Shumate
Gia sou Gianni Big Grin

I had the pleasure of seeing your Lynothorax in Mathew Amt's web site. Its wonderfull.

Great Pictures of a great kit. Laurel
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Let me present some of my work so far here
Very nice equipment Giannis!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Kalos eilthes Gianni
Splendit reconstructions

Kind regards
Thank you all for the wellcome and the good words.
The sling I made from kite string,I don't know exactly what it's made of,but I think it comes from a plant...
Just yesterday I found a leather suplyer in my area.I'm going to use it for propper sandals and for a shield later.I don't have comparisons but he sells it for 30-35 euros per meter.
Khairete
Giannis K. Hoplite
Beautiful kit, Giannis,

I especially like your sword. The scales look good, too. Did you make them yourself? What is your chiton made of?
Hi Paul.
The sword blade is 42cm long,quite the same length as some hoplite swords I've seen in Philip's tomb in Vergina.It's a LOTR "sting" blade.I made the hilt with wood and the fittings are copper.
The scales is brass,only 0.4 mm thick.It's thin enought to work but when cut in scales and with the central nerve they keep their shape.It's time consuming to make them,so I'll need a lot of time to make an all covered linothorax.maybe in summer...
The chiton is natural linen.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
I'm very impressed that you made the scales yourself. I guess you did it by hand, not in a press? Don't forget that there is evidence that linothorakes often had scale only on the right side, so you could do that section first and gradually add the rest.

I'm also impressed that you re-hilted a Sting. They're obviously the right shape in the blade and some are quite cheap. Laudes to you!
Thanks Paul.i made the scales by hand using a spatule for the nerve.I know I could do only the right side but I have something particular in mind so I'll wait for the right time to finish it.the sting was given as a present to me by Kenneth Forbis.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
[Image: IMG_0887.JPG]

930 scales, took a while to make those!

-THL Achilles of Sparta, Orkney IV ( SCA )
Thanks! Here is one with the shoulders on.

[Image: achilles2.sized.jpg]
Looks great Achilles - SCA, I think? A laudes for you.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wigs good for Greek hoplite impression? dienekes7 0 434 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice. JanasAurora 3 4,503 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: TemenosL.1991
  Show here your Byzantine warrior impression Robert Vermaat 86 82,355 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk