Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Greek warrior impression
Great pics Stefanos, wish I could have seen it in person.
We had our small camp in cologne this weekend too.
We trained some fighting techniques about Ekdromoi vs Peltast and had a lot of fun.
[url:gj7jjbbp]http://www.hetairoi.de/zenphoto/2008/Vorbereitungslager%20Koeln/[/url]
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Sehr Gut Kurt!

Will you share your conclusions with us?

Kind regards
I wouldn't go so far that we gome to a specific or new conclusion. But imagine that both ranks would have been larger, the Peltast would not have a good chance against the Ekdromoi. They are faster of course but so is an
Ekdromoi too, in contrary to a Hoplite. The Peltast really had troubles against our shields. We closed shields, if the situation required it. Or operated more open.
In my personal opinion a very interesting branch of service.
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Nice photos, Giannis....thanks for posting! Smile
Quote:First,Herodotus is talking aonly of female chitons.
...as I have pointed out on another thread, there was little/no transvestism in those times because male/female clothing was essentially the same and 'unisex'- simple shapes such as rectangles, of cloth - differing only in drape/fashion, and length of hemline.....men's generally short, but some full-length chitons are portrayed on men.......so essentially no difference.

The 'dress attachments', I would suggest, are ornament/applique sewn onto the garment for decoration.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Congratulations,Kurt. Nice photos. You've bcome 10...and Wolfgang is missing again...
Paul,it's an oversimplification to say that male and female clothes were indistinguishable. Aristophanes ridicules men by showing them wearing female clothing. And paintings and actual finds show that chitons were often more elaborate than ever shown in vases. We have some fittings here,that look very much like regular buttons,and must have had a similar way of attachment. And there are sculptures(do plates or rings count as sculptures?) that show the big pins fastening the peplos.
And NOT ONE indication of such thing worn by male.Either long chitoned or short. In fact men with long chitons are only shown in Ionic ones. The Doric ones show mainly Gods,Zeus or Poseidon, and they are sleeved,just because they are early archaic,in a time that actual sleeves must have existed.In all,these are the pins that were could be used as weapons and those things were not worn by men! Thus I don't have an indication that a male reenactor should pin his chiton,not only in lack of evidence,but from a practical point of view,too.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Courtesy of Marcus Germanicus Ferox.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... s-Lunt.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... -Lunt1.jpg

Kind regards
Our friend M. G. Ferrox as a Sykionian hoplite:
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... oswald.jpg

kind regards
Did I manage ? Yessss
FROESSEL
I see you weren't joking about being tall!

Where was that taken? In Athens?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ajax, yes, I was trying to remember an appropriate figure!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I never thought of Ajax untill now, but... why not ?
In fact I am not that tall, may be the photographer was a bit short !
On the other hand, I couldn't understand the general critics about Deepeeka greaves size, since as far as I am concerned, I never found them too broad but a bit short.
FROESSEL
How did you made your shield?

Kind regards
ha haaaaa... tadaaaam ! secret !
no, in fact. wooden core, leather inside.
I bought a wooden replica of Leonidas 300 movie.
It was a bit small +/- 80 cm and designed with the "lambda" you see in the movie.
The shield was made of several crossed poplar layers nailed together.
The advantage : reasonnable cost (100 € if I remember; you easily forget this kind of expenses) , natural wood (even if not 100% accurate) and a bowl shape aleady done.
I "decustomized" the "300" patterns to get the plain wood, I cut a 90 cm diameter / 5-6 cm wide rim, I bent a soft wood bar into a circle and glued/nailed it on the rim in order to make a "step" / begining of the bowl. I then glued/nailed my 300 bowl.
Makes a correct impression. I just regret not having been able to make a rounder curve (I sanded a bit this edge inbetween).
Internal part is classical = leather, porpax (simple) etc
External face is juqt painted with gold car paint and still waiting for an episeme.
FROESSEL
[Image: n681611203_1147490_321.jpg]

[Image: n681611203_1147492_963.jpg]

My first Classical impression.

Hat is by Cacaius Rebus. Still not a perfect petasos, but very nice, and kept the sun off on a 38 degree © day. I also pushed it back on the linen chin-strap (sometimes visible in ARW) and it did bob around the back of my head, just like the ARW and ABW pictures!

Spear is by Manning Imperial (haft by me.) It is a longche, or that's what I think it's called.

The Chiton (any thanks are due to Giannis) is wool, with wool stripes sewed on by hand. They DID edge in braid or weaving, but I suspect that it would hang better if the stripes were woven in. I'm working on it...

The Chalmys is the best piece of fabric I've got--it is so much like one of the Scythian burial fabrics that I curse that there were just 4 yards left on a remnant... there's a woven pattern of 2 inch squares that is invisible in the photos...

The cloak pin is almost invisible, but it is from HR Replikat. Goodness, they do nice work. Our Aurora Simmons in Toronto is about to launch a line of stuff from the Royal Ontario Museum and other online sources in silver and bronze--pins and fibulae and such...

I'm wearing a linen rope girdle--two lengths of linen rope tied at the "front" with a Hercules knot for decoration, and laced at the back--based on some jewelry survivals and a 4th C. BC Italian vase painting at the Walters Gallery. Works, too.

[Image: n681611203_1148456_5170.jpg]

That's me at the end of a lot of javelin throwing. But that's another post!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Laudes!
See my PM.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wigs good for Greek hoplite impression? dienekes7 0 434 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice. JanasAurora 3 4,500 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: TemenosL.1991
  Show here your Byzantine warrior impression Robert Vermaat 86 82,341 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk