Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Roman Military Equipment "
What is your opinion, should I buy "Roman Military Equipment " by Bishop & Coulston if I already do have "Greece and Rome at war" and D. Peterson's " Roman legion recreated...."

Ilpo
I think most members here - none of whom benefits from it except Mike B. himself - would answer with a very short, but unequivocal 'Yes!'.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Could you please specify the merits of this book?

Ilpo
Hoping that Mike agrees with my description here. The book discusses the sources for and the study of Roman military equipment and gives an overview of the development of the various types of equipment. It also considers, production, 'cultural exchange' and military equipment and the identity of the soldier and units.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:What is your opinion, should I buy "Roman Military Equipment " by Bishop & Coulston if I already do have "Greece and Rome at war" and D. Peterson's " Roman legion recreated...."
Or, where Peterson shows many nice images, Bishop & Coulston give you the scientific background. With a zillion notes so that you can follow up with your own research. Indispensable!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There is also the point that B & C is accepted as a reliable reference and is the quoted source for a number of other works, thus helping you to win arguments! Big Grin

I find it interesting & useful even though my primary interest is in only the last period discussed.
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
...... and the second edition is a true improvement over the first.... I now have both...
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
...and drawings are useful too. Don't hesitate.
Martin
You can harrass one of the authors on here :twisted:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I think I have to wait.... I just spent my money 8)

Ilpo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help_renting Roman military equipment Arahne 6 1,441 05-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Roman Military Equipment Storage kevair464 25 5,143 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: kevair464