Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names
I have a friend of mine who is a superb cook (luky for his wife) and make an excelent roasted salmon stuffed (is this the correct word?) with bacon.
ediited

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Hum, it's taira, and not tiara.
Quote:Hum, it's taira, and not tiara.

Oops again my father's defect! :oops:

He also never called me by my real name, but called me by all my brothers! :evil:

He goes: how is your name son? :lol: ... He got too many btw: :roll:

[size=150:16ptev1x]Taira then! :wink: [/size]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
MATTHEW
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
English form of ???????? (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name ???????????? (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

And Magnus, my Roman name:

Usage: Scandinavian, English
Pronounced: MAG-nus (English) [key]
Roman cognomen meaning "great" in Latin. This was the name of seven kings of Norway and three kings of Sweden. The name was imported to Scotland and Ireland during the Middle Ages.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Hum, it's taira, and not tiara.
By the way, what does Taira means?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:MATTHEW
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
English form of ???????? (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name ???????????? (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH".

So in Greece we would call you Theodoros Smile
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Cool wind from the north guys!

My first name Jyrki is in english George and what could be better for an late roman enthusiast like me (St.George) 8) ...

Ps. you can use my name in every dish you like :wink:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
JONA is the Dutch form of English Jonah; it's from Hebrew יוֹנָה, which means "dove" and is the name of a prophet. One of the advantages is that it is easy to render into Arabic and Farsi (Yunus, Yunes), which makes it easy to pick up a conversation in an islamic country.
Quote:
Magnus:3e4pdmnu Wrote:MATTHEW <...> which meant "gift of YAHWEH".
So in Greece we would call you Theodoros Smile
You're close to a little known truth, dear Spyros. Many Jews have a double name, although this has nothing to do with our Matthew. But the Hebrew name Baruch can easily be converted to Benedict (both mean "blessed"). Isaac/Irving is another one. I have met a Mattityahu who also called himself Dieudonné.

I once thought it had something to do with persecution, and the fact that being Jewish in the west is often something that is better done inside a family than in public; but things may be more complex, because already in Antiquity, Jews called themselves Israel, and used the expression Judah/Jews for outward used. For example, Pilate calls Jesus "king of the Jews" and one of the men crucified with Jesus calls him "Messiah of Israel". I will see a rabbi next Sunday, will ask him.

Quote:JASPER <...> Means "treasurer" in Persian. The name Jasper was traditionally given to one of the three kings (also known as the three Magi, or wise men) who visit the newborn Jesus in the New Testament. This name can also be given in reference to the English word for the gemstone.
I don't know if the info you quote from "Behind the Name" about Jasper is entirely correct. There is indeed a Persian expression pasdar, "keeper", but it strikes me as somewhat odd that /p/ converts into /j/. The wise man who visited Jesus, anyhow, was Caspar.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote: Many Jews have a double name, although this has nothing to do with our Matthew. But the Hebrew name Baruch can easily be converted to Benedict (both mean "blessed"). Isaac/Irving is another one.

I once thought it had something to do with persecution, and the fact that being Jewish in the west is often something that is better done inside a family than in public; but things may be more complex, because already in Antiquity, Jews called themselves Israel, and used the expression Judah?Jews for outward used. For example, Pilate calls Jesus "king of the Jews" and one of the men crucified with Jesus calls him "Messiah of Israel". I will see a rabbi next Sunday, will ask him.

Jona if I may, just a thought. During hellenistic times a lot of jews used greek names, the practise continued during the roman times if I'm not mistaken. Could this names be that? Translation of their hebrew names in greek or latin?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:Jona if I may, just a thought. During hellenistic times a lot of jews used greek names, the practise continued during the roman times if I'm not mistaken. Could this names be that? Translation of their hebrew names in greek or latin?
Very plausible, yes. I think you may be right. I'll ask the rabbi nevertheless. He always knows something more.
Jona Lendering
My website
Thank you, I would like to know also. The effort to hellenize the Hebrews and the subsiquent problems are an interest of mine
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Daniel -- (Hebrew) "the Lord is my judge"
Diffendale - Anglicized from German Tieffental "deep valley"
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Hi Jona,
I've just always been told that that's where my name comes from and that Caspa/er and Jasper are basically the same name. (and that info came from that site...)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Hi Jona,
I've just always been told that that's where my name comes from and that Caspa/er and Jasper are basically the same name. (and that info came from that site...)

Probably, Jasper, Caspar are both derived from "Gaspar" through an Arabian intermediary, because Arabs can not pronounce the /g/. So, no original /kh/ needed. Gaspar is an existing name, still used in Armenia.

Still, why is the modern Persian word not derived from Gaspar but from Pasdar? If I'll find the solution, I'll Jasper know through PM.
Jona Lendering
My website