Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Il-2 Forgotten Battles
Any players of Il-2 Forgotten Battles out there? I just upgraded my computer for the first time in 6 years and I can FINALLY play good combat flight sims again and although my first has been the fairly good Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe, it's not as awesome as I'd hoped and the other day I saw some 'movies' on You Tube that make Il-2 FB look just INCREDIBLE- so I want to see what real players think of it.

Thanks in advance

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hmm! never try that one! but it has a good score 8.5 great!

I use to play alot some of Jane's games like:

1)Israeli Air Force

2) F-15

3) US Air Force

4) Mig Alley

4) Apache Havoc

And other combat games from other systems.

I need an upgrate too even though I can play those games on my comp.

Also I need the later joystick similar to thisone but better
[Image: 5848872.jpg]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Well what really got me from the video clips was that they even have the appearance and action of the Revi16B reflector gunsight correct- I have a real one in my WWII collection and I was amazed that the game makers went to this level of detail. But there have been other WWII sims that have looked cool but failed significantly in the game play department- and while again the video made Il-2 FB look like it does well, I'd like to make sure before I go blowing more cash on a game that might only be okay in truth.

To be honest, one of the things that really appeals is the chance to fly against the Red Air Force instead of the USAF or RAF as in every single other game (I play the Luftwaffe Wink )- I've read so many personal histories about flying on the Eastern Front, it'd be pretty cool I think to actually play such actions.

I'm totally with you about F-15- I love that game- but haven't tried the others. Now that I've got the Cray under my desk :wink: I'm really looking forward to some serious sims...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
IL-2 forgotten battles is absolutely awesome- really! You can go as realistic as you like, and if you are any cop with photoshop can paint your own planes very easily. It is best with the ace expansion pack on too!

CFS3 is slightly disapointing, but if you buy the firepower add on, by Just flight I think, It becomes a much better game. Especially night raids, with flak turned on- wow! You even get nukes, great fun.

Still IL-2 is the way to go- the ground is amazing, it looks good low, unlike CFS3 where you always feel- aww its just an aerial photo with trees stuck on!

Hope this helps!
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin\'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghettoooooo...
(vocalist extrodinaire- Eric Cartman)
I should add that the guys who made IL-2 and Pacific fighters, which is just IL-2 in the pacific, are real authenticity gurus, a lot of them are ex-military and pilots themselves, so the detail is awesome.

They are starting to work on a Battle of britain IL-2 also, so soon you can play american, british or Russian without having to switch to Microsoft or Mods!
In the ghettoooooo...
Sweet- that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. My local software/ games store has the Il-2 FB/ Ace Expansion combo for only $25, so even if it's just a bit better than MSCFC3, it's worth it Wink

I hadn't heard of the firepower add-on for MSCFC3, but to be honest I doubt I'd buy it unless it addresses the fundamental problems with the game: weird gunsight, tracers that look like stars or some other such things, target aircraft that only blow up one single and unrealistic way, VERY unrealistic ammunition effects (single 3cm MK108 rounds are reported to completely destroy fighter aircraft a number of times in various books), no half-way in damage from enemies- it's either none or tons, weird swirling fragments from hit aircraft, no flashes from detonating shells and other details like that. They go so far to get instruments to be mostly accurate, etc. that it's so surprising they miss these fundamental game-play things.
Quote:I should add that the guys who made IL-2 and Pacific fighters, which is just IL-2 in the pacific, are real authenticity gurus, a lot of them are ex-military and pilots themselves, so the detail is awesome.

They are starting to work on a Battle of britain IL-2 also, so soon you can play american, british or Russian without having to switch to Microsoft or Mods!

SUPER sweet. I love the F4U Corsair and the Zero- and good old Battle of Britain was my very first WWII flight sim centuries ago and I played the CRAP out of that one LOL a super-accurate one would be AWESOME
Matt always look for review, images, videos, etc.
here Gamespot.com,
this people are always right about games!
:wink:

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
A lot is addressed in the Firepower pack, but to be fair, I wouldn't own it if I had got IL-2 first so go figure that one out!

The damge/guunery can be turned how you like in IL-2, as can almost everything, turned up full they are almost unflyable! the FW-190 is a troquey beast that nearly flips itself over when you start up, and landing an Me 109 on hard with that skinny undercarraige rack is tough!

I hope you enjoy!
In the ghettoooooo...
Hmm!

I maight have to check this game out!, it has better score than IL-2, and its about Korea, the war that my grandpa went, I maight think about him with it! Smile

ahhh! but graphic is 7, and IL-2 has 9 :x

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/migalley/review.html

Man, I used to play MS CFS I...what a great game. I need to upgrade my computer as well.

I actually did an F-18 combat simulator that my dad got me a session with for my birthday. It was pretty cool...the cockpit was fully functional, but the sound and graphics could have been better. It's the one here:

www.aircombatzone.com

Legion: TBD
If any of you like WW1 too the only way to get a flight sim of such over here is Over Flandersa Fields for CFS3-

http://off.oldbrowndog.net/

The phase one is a free Mod to download, and is great fun, but phase 2 and 3 are going to be semi official pay ware download products I believe.

The detail on these is very good, they do seem so slow after Yaks, Migs and focke-wulfs though!
In the ghettoooooo...
I am playing it!

I like to hunt with my finnish air-forces Brewster Buffalo some russian bombers over the winter landscape early in the morning, it looks awesome!

We finns had a nickname for this Brewster, it was called "Pylly-Valtteri" and means something like "ass-Walter" :lol: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I live IL-2 and forgotten battles, (my first copy I picked up in Ukraine).
The Pacific Game was just not complete, needed to download files just to run it and it didn't have some of the stuff promised on the box, if you try and run certain senarios the game crashes.....

But on dialup, I can't play the online version of the game anyway, the interface is too slow. IL-2 and Forgotten Battles are well worth the money!!!!
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I found IL-2 forgotten battles like that when it first came out though- I needed a few patches downloading to fix all the bugs, but I'm finding most games are like that nowadays- they just get them out there without doing must testing and launch patches for the bugs.

IL-2 FB, and AE, and Pacific fighters pacthed to 4.04 are totally bug free for me now?

Adam
In the ghettoooooo...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Requiems for forgotten wars Jona Lendering 37 5,291 06-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning