Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drawings from films
At the other website http://p209.ezboard.com/bromancombatsports , under "drawings by machiann", I had posted my own drawings of helmets from certain movies. From one drawing there, I am revising it here which is from the movie called "The invincible Gladiator". Another drawing by me is from the b& w film called "Fabiola". Question: were these helmets actually produced in ancient times or did these films concoct them from the filmmakers' heads? I do not suspect the latter, although this is just a hunch. Anyway, I hope my uploading of these drawings are successful here
Michael
I will try uploading those drawings again as I promised in my previous post because that did not materialize due to this website for some reason.
Michael
I suspect that you have not yet read the rules of membership and the rules for posting.
Please go to your profile and fill it out, and make a signature block containing your real name.
Then search for topics before posting a new thread. There are already threads about the HBO Rome film.
There are also sizing rules about what type of images you may post here.

Thank you for your kind attention.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hi Michiann,
You ought to be able to upload pictures to the forum using the Add Attachment button. PM me if you keep having problems.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
[attachment=988]GladiatorhelmetfrommovieFabiola.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=989]GladiatorhelmetfrommovieFabiola.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=990]GladiatorhelmetsfromfilmInvincibleGladiator.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=991]GladiatorhelmetwithbigplumefromfilmInvincibleGladiator.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=992]gladiatorfilmnamedSonofHerculesvs.Messalina.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=993]gladiatorfilmshowing1helmetnamedTwoGladiators.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=994]GladiatorhelmetsfrmanamericantvseriescalledEmpire.jpg[/attachment]
I just found out that my drawings (that i posted many years ago) are no longer here. Well, i want to do a favor for the members here, i'll re-post those drawings from various gladiator movies (films). The helmets in these movies are simply beautiful. However, how true are they ... were these helmets originally made & used within the ancient Roman Empire? Or did they originate only from the minds of the film-makers? The film "Fabiola" looks believable because they look like slight variations of actual antique helmets. So do the helmets from "The Invincible Gladiator" except for the helmet with the multiple plumes because it holds a medallion-looking object on the nose area of the facial visor and has complex openings & slits on the visor. The movie called "Messalina vs. the son of Hercules" used many provocator helmets with all the helmets featuring a different set of openings & slits for the eyes & breathing. These are only 50% believable by me ... use your own judgement. The film called "Two Gladiators" shows a beautiful-looking helmet with an abstract design on the mask with an extension of the design in the form of a small-sized rounded-bumpy surface ... this is absolutely beautiful, but again, was this actually used in ancient times? The last film was an american television series called "Empire". My feeling is that I'm 80% sure these were concocted from the mind of the film-maker. Anyway, i will try uploading these drawings to the RAT website.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael
I see that my drawings on helmets that i posted many years ago, do not appear anylonger here. I don't know the reason for this. It doesn't matter because I'm going to repeat my effort of posting drawings of different helmets used in various movies, that I never saw before amongst actual antiques and primitive art. As beautiful the helmets were that were used in the movies, how true is it that these particular helmets were used during ancient times of the Roman Empire ... or were these helmets originally imagined in the minds of film-makers and then subsequently constructed? The helmets used in "Fabiola" are believable because they look like very slight variations of actual antique helmets. The helmets used in "The Invincible Gladiator" are believable except for the one with the multi-plumes because of 3 reasons: the nose-area of the visor has a medallion-looking disk-shaped object adhered to it; also, it has complex openings on the mask-type visor; also, the skull protector had vertical depressions running up & down on it. The helmets used in "Son of Hercules vs. Messalina" were all the same type helmet but with various designed-openings on the visors. The visor with the long, vertical slits over the eye area, is only 50% believable because i think eye vision may have been partly-blocked here. The helmet used in "Two Gladiators" is very beautiful but erratic because part of the mask-type visor has a peculiar, uniform design of a very small, rounded-bumpy, metallic surface ... also, the mouth opening is unusual because I only saw this type mouth-opening on theater-masks used by old-Rome actors on stage. Finally, the helmets used in an american broadcasted television series named "Empire" are very interesting but are less than 50% believable .... these don't even remotely resemble anything i've ever seen before relating to gladiators. Anyway, as with all the helmets, please use your own judgement & experience in ascertaining whether these helmets were used in the ancient arenas.
[attachment=995]GladiatorhelmetfrommovieFabiola.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=997]GladiatorhelmetwithbigplumefromfilmInvincibleGladiator.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=998]GladiatorhelmetsfromfilmInvincibleGladiator.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=999]gladiatorfilmnamedSonofHerculesvs.Messalina.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1000]gladiatorfilmshowing1helmetnamedTwoGladiators.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1001]GladiatorhelmetsfrmanamericantvseriescalledEmpire.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael
Many of these appear rather Hollywoody and fanciful, but a few look pretty close to known archeological specimens. Pretty much anything with spikes is not authentic.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Demetrius, you're correct because i also never saw spikes on antique helmets such as in the film called "Empire" which was made in american-Hollywood. But the other films "Fabiola", "The Invincible Gladiator", "Son of Hercules vs. Messalina", and "Two Gladiators" were all made by italy's film industry.
Michael