Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whose imperial remains/ tombs/ sarcophagi still survive ?
Avete Omnes,

I just discovered today that St. Helena's (Constantine's mother) sarcophagus lies in the Vatican. According to some sources, it was originally meant for Constantine himself Confusedhock: (See photo below)

[Image: sarcophagus.jpg]

Since Constantine's remains have been lost, this is the next best thing that survives. Anyone know if Helena's remains are inside the sarcophagus ?

Are there any similar surviving examples of Imperial remains, tombs, sarcophagi, etc. ? (including family members)

I know the earlier Emperors arranged for themselves to be cremated and interred in elaborate tombs, but have any of their ashes (urns) survived intact ?

Theo
Jaime
Quote:About sarcophagies, do you meant just for roman u byzantines & other periods?

Sure, including the Byzantine period. Even most of those (if any) haven't survived, like you said.

Quote:Ok Constantina Sarcophagus. Emperor Constantine put his sister in one of these, and his mom in another.

Wow, another Constantinian sarcophagus. I'm starting to suspect more of these survived in the West under the protection of the Vatican.
Jaime
The Tetriarch Galerius' tomb in Thessaloniki, Greece, and converted into a church (the arch-persecutor must be spinning in his grave Tongue )

[Image: Ac.galerius2.jpg]

That thing in the background behind the scaffolding is a minaret. Boy, if it were up to me I'd dynamite it (or at least make it into a bell tower) :wink:

Theo
Jaime
Quote:That thing in the background behind the scaffolding is a minaret. Boy, if it were up to me I'd dynamite it (or at least make it into a bell tower) :wink:

Theo

That minaret is part of the history of that building, and therefore a small portion of the history of all of us. You can't erase with dinamite that history to get only the roman buiding.

Returning to the topic, in Rome several imperial mausoleums remains, including the one of Augustus and his familiy, and the one of Adrianus (castello Sant Angelo, near The Vatican).
Quote:in Rome several imperial mausoleums remains, including the one of Augustus and his familiy, and the one of Adrianus (castello Sant Angelo, near The Vatican).

Those are probably the most famous ones. Here they are :

Augustus' tomb (left), Hadrian's tomb (right)

[Image: mausoleo.jpg] [Image: castelsantangelo01.jpg]

We have examples from the first, second, and third (or fourth ?) centuries pictured on this thread. So far, it seems the emperors favored rotundas as their tombs.

Thank you, Avitianus Smile
Jaime
Quote:That minaret is part of the history of that building, and therefore a small portion of the history of all of us. You can't erase with dinamite that history to get only the roman buiding.

Well...not dynamite but perhaps we could take it down and rebuild it somewhere else. Every time I see The Hagia Sophia in Constantinople I feel weird with those minarets.
When does an "add on" become history along the original building? I for sure would prefer to see the Marcellus Theatre in Rome without that renaiscance building on top of it.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
I went to the area where the tomb of the Scipii is, but I didn't get to go inside. I believe it was gated off, but I can't remember. It's along the Appian Way, I think. It's been a few years since I was there.
Ethan Gruber