Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I WANT TO BE A ROMAN
I would love to be an ancient Roman, in theory and in my little dreamworld. lol Where I'm also the Empress of the world and everyone bows down to me. lol Sorry couldn't help myself.

But I'd imagine myself in the real life Roman world, I could be married off to someone of my father's choice. And then that man will have life and death over me, and any children that I may produce. Also being around solely for reproducing is not my cup of tea. Plus he can legally beat me up! Arrgh!

Or I could be a slave.... certainly not my glass of coke. -shakes head- Not at all

Then I could be a female gladiator, the fighting does sound good and all. But the whole training and being treated like an animal, really just doesn't cut it.

I've watched at the medieval display in Doonside, there were men running around with chain mail for long periods and I thought one of them was going to have a heart attack. Its alot harder than it looks, its the same with horse riding.. especially when you're trying to do dressage where its supposed to look like you're not doing anything at all! lol
Amanda Welshman
(No Roman name yet)
Quote:Oooh, Sabrina Ferilli...

What an swordsmith she could have been! She can turn a gladius into a spatha in five seconds :wink: !

:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi all,

Well you don't have to become a reenactor to experience the (Roman) past - you could become an opera singer!! :lol: I have sung Verdi's Attila on stage and been in Handel's Julius Caesar and choruses for other historical operas (Macbeth etc) great fun and they pay for your costume! And you get to do many time periods (I am directing Don Giovanni at the moment set in 1756 Salzburg - it being Mozart's 250th and all).

Attila brought home Charlton Heston's comment that he knew what it was to take a city based on his experiences with El Cid - in Attila I had an army (well they were all in their sixties with wigs and painted bin lids for shields and they couldn't have stormed a paper bag let alone a city but you get my drift ... hopefully .... :roll: Not to mention music can transport you to places nothing else can (the scene where Attila is plagued by a nightmare of Pope Leo is fabulous).

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
I'd go back in time and be a roman only if I was a Jedi.

Legion: TBD
Quote:I'd go back in time and be a roman only if I was a Jedi.
]
These are not the Druids your looking for!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Hi all,

... become an opera singer!! :lol: I have sung Verdi's Attila on stage and been in Handel's Julius Caesar and choruses for other historical operas (Macbeth etc) great fun and they pay for your costume! And you get to do many time periods (I am directing Don Giovanni at the moment set in 1756 Salzburg - it being Mozart's 250th and all).

Cheers

Murray

Muzzaguchi, you surprise me! Is there a DVD out on the Attila you did? The only one I have seen is a La Scala issue. I understand Attila is a very demanding part. ... I have sung opera twice, both times to settle down unruly and violent prisoners while I was a Deputy Sheriff. Monteverdi's "Il Combato" and Wagner's "Tannhauser". This was for intimidation purposes, and sadly, for nothing else.

Let me know if you are going to be around this part of the world. I get tickets to the Santa Fe Opera every season.

OT, I know, sorry, but the man is into Opera... surely they will understand.

Ralph Izard
Hi Ralph,

I have sent you a PM - away from the prying eyes of the opera un-initiated Tongue lol: or unwilling to acknowledge (or yet to find out) :wink:

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Cannot resist,

[Image: ferilli2.JPG]

more appropriate:

[urlConfused3bjjlvj]http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/1275/milk052gq.jpg[/url]

Bella Sabrina!

Valete
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:I'd go back in time and be a roman only if I was a Jedi.

I can imagine it...:lol:
[Image: Jedi.jpg]
Martin
If one can go back with a time machine, there are basically two options:

The one is plunging fully into the life then, woving oneself into the spatiotemporal web, and becoming part of the past. In this case, given that you have managed to place yourself at an elevated place in society, you would almost certainly revolutionize the ancient world by your know how. Even modest knowledge of basic mechanical principles like the crane, crank, blast furnace, lugsail and the counterweight trebuchet would change the trajectory of world history radically. One would be the butterfly whose wing flaps would loose hurricanes on the path of humanity.

The other is, trying to become deeply involved with the acting and thinking of the people and society then, again probably by getting a high post in the imperial bureaucracy or as far trading merchant, BUT paying utmost attention to not influence the time by importing modern technologies or ways of thinking. Just like a laboratorian goes into a sealed chamber aseptically cleaned.

Then you would sit down and write the history of the time and people then in the most objective manner you can manage, bury the manuscripts in the sands of Egypt and wait 2000 years for some lucky archaeologists to unearth them. Such a way one could describe and analyze past history without changing the path itself. Definitely, if I happen to stumble over a time machine on my return from office, I would do this.

Farewell......... 8)
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
I know what I like. Know doubt it would have motivated the legions. Titus you have great taste. A roman she-wolf if there ever was one. Cheers Caius/Thomas
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Quote:Then you would sit down and write the history of the time and people then in the most objective manner you can manage, bury the manuscripts in the sands of Egypt and wait 2000 years for some lucky archaeologists to unearth them. Such a way one could describe and analyze past history without changing the path itself. Definitely, if I happen to stumble over a time machine on my return from office, I would do this.

No way- I'd totally screw with modern archaeologists- leave little notes in English about modern events, have some modern objects made and 'deposit' those... basically drive people crazy Big Grin That'd be MUCH more fun.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I plan on being buried in full kit, with a latin inscribed painted tombstone, just to really confuse archaeologists a thousand years from now. Two feet below my grave will be a plaque saying "Gotcha!".
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
:lol:

I'm not the only $h!t-disturber Big Grin
Quote:I plan on being buried in full kit, with a latin inscribed painted tombstone, just to really confuse archaeologists a thousand years from now. Two feet below my grave will be a plaque saying Gotcha!".
Or Hic erat Regicida ("Kilroy was here"). :wink: :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website