Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would carry messages?
I am trying to figure out for my novel who would carry messages to people from sya ceasar and other important people? Would it be someone with lower ranking political standings like a quaestor, or would they have a regular person or slave that would carry that stuff?
Legionare Vibius Atimonius
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Quote:I am trying to figure out for my novel who would carry messages to people from sya ceasar and other important people? Would it be someone with lower ranking political standings like a quaestor, or would they have a regular person or slave that would carry that stuff?

Depends on time and place, really. During the REpublic, private arrangements had to be made. During the Principate and Dominate, a 'public post' existed. The couriers of the cursus publicus would be carrying the messages of government along the road network, and of course the Caesar had full access to their service. However, these would be long-range services mostly. Officials outside of Rome (and some of the traditional magistrates) had a staff of soldiers or lictors who could be trusted with carrying despatches or papers. Many members of the upper class would also have been accompanied by friends and young 'apprentices', sons of frioends and relatives sent to 'learn the ropes' in their company. They would have made acceptable, trustworthy couriers or short routes. And finally, the everyday message traffic of dinner invitations, love letters and friendly chatter was carried by errand-running slaves or friends who happened to be heading that way. So the short answer is: it depends.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
And the troops of the Classis Misenensis (Misenate fleet), stationed at Rome, apparently were also used as messengers between Rome, Ostia & Puteoli.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
So almost anybody could be carrying a message?
Legionare Vibius Atimonius
Ben Hathaway[/i]