Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The roman-german museum of Cologne.
Last Sunday I visited this museum. It's a nice museum with a great mosaic (you can already see it from outside the museum) and a lot of votive altars and gravestones. A lot of the inscriptions in the stones are brought to light by coloring them red. The translations are give in German but mostly there is a small text also in English.
There are also a lot of glass, jewelry, ...

I really enjoyed this museum.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
we (several members from RAt including myself) were there last year. A fun museum indeed. Its really fun to listen to the comments of visitors when they stumble upon the floor with all the swastika's!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
It's one of my favorite museums. If you like it, you will also like the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn (which is more quiet but has a splendid collection) and the museum of Haltern (specialized on military objects).

What I always like in Cologne is the large number of alabastrons, bottles for parfum. I am absolutely certain that Cologne produced parfum in Antiquity, and that eau de Cologne was not invented by 4711.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I've been to both museums, Cologne and Bonn, last year. At the Rheinisches Landesmuseum it's hard to find the Roman objects because they are spread all over the place since the departments of the museums are seperated not into periods/eras but topics like military, religion etc. But thanks to the perfect guidance of our member Tib. Gabinius we had a good tour on the Roman objects. Big Grin
The one "big" mosaic seen on the lower ground of the museum is the Dionysos mosaic.
You can see a small picture of it here: http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... e%26sa%3DN

Its on his original place, not like the sophistic mosaic in the museum above, which is also great and in the middle of some fragments of roman wall painting.

Both, the RGM in Cologne as the RLM in Bonn are great museums, while the RLM give you more possibilities to get informations above the objects, while the RGM show you a lot of really impressive artefacts from stone age to francs and more.
In the RLM you get thematic view on the times from stone age to modern times.

Who of you come to Cologne or Bonn can write me, if i ll have time i can perhaps give you a small tour through.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
I see I could have had a guided tour Big Grin

This summer I also visited the museum in Arles (France). This one also had some big mosaics and a lot of grave stones with some nice inscriptions. But the translations were all in french I think. Not as much to see as in Cologne but if you are in Arles (France) it's a must!!
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus