Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Gates of Fire\' By Steven Pressfield
Sorry, boys and girls, I'm back.

...aha, so land-owning knights don't swear??? ever?? mmm. :wink:

'Nuts': Laconic? Perhaps. Eloquent? I think not. :lol:

Also, I don't recall my defence of Pressfield being based on experience of 'conscripts' or screen 'grunts'. Rather, I believe that he has, for me at least, captured the essence of the timeless human experience in battle.

I have said enough.
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Quote:During the Battle of the Bulge, when called upon by the Germans to surrender Bastogne, General McAuliffe of the 101st Airborne Div simply replied "Nuts."

You're right, that's perfect. Any others anyone can think of from a somewhat modern context? I'm sure they occur, even though we don't value brevity in speech. Imagine how it would be if laconic speech, not Rhetoric was highly valued? Poor Lawyers! So much for politicians!

Perhaps the Japanese have some examples.

To some extent we in science strive to be brief and concise, but this is also rarely achieved. Particularly by me.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Also, I don't recall my defence of Pressfield being based on experience of 'conscripts' or screen 'grunts'. Rather, I believe that he has, for me at least, captured the essence of the timeless human experience in battle.

I never disagreed with this, I like the book and have recommended it widely. What I said is he failed to capture the essence of Sparta,not the essence of battle. In this he adds one more veil to the mirage surrounding Sparta and does a diservice. Then again, next to Frank Miller he's Xenophon. I can't even be dead set agains 300 for at least it raises awareness and wrong press is better than no press or bad press.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Any others anyone can think of from a somewhat modern context? I'm sure they occur, even though we don't value brevity in speech.
My own favourite is the one-word telegram sent by General Charles Napier when he captured the Indian province of Sindh in 1842: "peccavi" (Latin for "I have sinned") -- geddit? Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:My own favourite is the one-word telegram sent by General Charles Napier when he captured the Indian province of Sindh in 1842: "peccavi"

But was it meant as a double-entendre? :wink:

Actually I imagine brevity is requred for telegram messages...or those sent via Scytale...
Paul M. Bardunias
OK. Can't resist joining back in, but I hope you'll like this.

The Commanding Officer of a Gurkha battalion which had just captured a hill (say, Hill 127), at some cost, from the Japanese in Burma during WWII, was incensed to hear a broadcast that an American unit had 'taken Hill 127'.
His report to Allied headquarters that, 'if the Americans had taken Hill 127, then the 4th Gurkhas would proceed to take umbrage' had groups of staff lackeys searching maps for Umbrage. :lol:

(genuinely no offence meant to my American brethern who may well have captured Hills 128, 129 and 130).
Quote:Sorry, boys and girls, I'm back.

...aha, so land-owning knights don't swear??? ever?? mmm. :wink:

'Nuts': Laconic? Perhaps. Eloquent? I think not. :lol:

I have said enough.

I was going to use that but figured too many people would just see it as another example of profanity.... :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, hope you're still enjoying your leave. Come on in and add some tone to what is an otherwise vulgar brawl.
Can you balance your laptop in bed amongst the remains of a few take-aways, or have you actually got up yet?
Quote:Byron, hope you're still enjoying your leave. Come on in and add some tone to what is an otherwise vulgar brawl.
Can you balance your laptop in bed amongst the remains of a few take-aways, or have you actually got up yet?

Actually, this is my desk-top, laddie...... :twisted: (quite heavy on the knees.....) :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is a bed? :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
LOL. I think the Vestal chicks use 'em. You and I are clearly both used to gutters?
Speaking of which, beds not gutters, have you seen any signs of Bella Libitina? She is sadly missed. Cry
I have been chatting to the lovely lady all afternoon! 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Cool! Style and grace obviously win again!!
My congratulations to you Sir!
Quote:Then again, next to Frank Miller he's Xenophon. I can't even be dead set agains 300 for at least it raises awareness and wrong press is better than no press or bad press.

At least in the 300 comic the Spartans speak laconically, rather than how they do in Gates of Fire. Smile
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Quote:At least in the 300 comic the Spartans speak laconically, rather than how they do in Gates of Fire. Smile

True!! Big Grin
I read comics, and though I'm not into Frank Miller (at all), I did appreciate his dialogue in the 300 comic.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
:roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Lost Capital of Byzantium by Steven Runciman Gaius Julius Caesar 2 1,687 02-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Interview with two Stevens: Saylor and Pressfield mcbishop 1 1,475 06-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Senovara
  Pressfield, Afghan Campaign Jona Lendering 9 3,162 12-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Idomeneas