Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
world map user interface
At the moment on the world map you can just see one category, or all of them. I thought it might be nice if you would be able to arbitrarily select the categories you would like to see (e.g. reenactment groups and RATers, but nothing else)?

Now, in the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, I went and created a small proof-of-concept of this, here (I sincerely hope I don't offend anybody here with this). The page shows you a bunch of check boxes corresponding to the existing categories, and you can choose any number of them (and then click the button to update the display). A side effect of the modification is that updating the categories which you want to see no longer causes the page to reload completely.

On the proof-of-concept page, I also changed the code so that when you click on a marker, a new popup window is created with the content instead of the "balloon"-like window on top of the map (but I'm not entirely convinced this is a change for the better) ...

Like I said above, these modifications are just an idea, and I hope I've not offended anybody. Any opinions on whether they would make sense or not?
Regards,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your ideas! I'm somewhat limited though by the fact that we're using a component for our content management system. It does allow me to call various categories & combos, but I'd have to make links for each and every combo, which is silly.
If you can help me solve that problem, I'm all ears!
Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I'm somewhat limited though by the fact that we're using a component for our content management system.

Drats :? . Well, interesting things are never simple ...

Quote:It does allow me to call various categories & combos, but I'd have to make links for each and every combo, which is silly.

Quite so Big Grin .

Quote:If you can help me solve that problem, I'm all ears! Big Grin

I'll try to get around taking a peek at the CMS and component code; I'll let you know if I come up with something.
Regards,
Daniel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user 411 Eran Spahbod 2 1,615 11-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Eran Spahbod
  "Karma Change Disabled for this User" Jona Lendering 7 3,160 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis