Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Crocodile Hunter\' Steve Irwin killed
just read this in the newspapers: Steve Irwin is dead. Apparently he was killed by a stingray barb in the chest while he was diving

very shocking news!

BBC News:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5311298.stm
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
His Wikipedia page was already updated!! Confusedhock:

"On 4 September 2006, shortly after 11:00 a.m. local time (01:00 UTC), Irwin was killed by a stingray barb while filming an underwater documentary in the Great Barrier Reef off the Low Isles near Port Douglas, north of Cairns, Queensland, Australia. News reports say he was stung either through his heart[5] or through the left side of his chest[6] by a stingray, causing a fatal wound. After he was stung, his crew called for medical help and the Queensland Rescue Helicopter responded. [1] However, Irwin was immediately pronounced dead at the scene.[7] The Queensland Police Service notified his family and released a statement for the media concerning the event."

He leaves behind a wife and kids aged 8 and 2... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Gosh his program was one of my favorites in Animal Channel,

I remember the first time I saw his show, I couldnt stop to say: Crockeyyy!, and : Gooooorgeus! like him :lol:

I alway was chocked by his dariness....

Left a beautiful wife & two childrends that he wouldnt see them getting marryed.... But I bet, that he had talked many privated moment with his wife, how things can end up doin such a career, probably he would desire to die doin what he love to do, than not doin so.... However this is sad news. Sad

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I am very sorry it happened! I always thought he was risking his health/life too much for the entertainment of his audience, but then he seemed to enjoy his work so much. He really was that way!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
He was also a very active conservationist. Very sad news indeed.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That's very sad. Cry I've liked his movies and serials...he really enjoyed his work and seems that he died for it... Cry
Martin
I always thought he was living on borrowed time, as many risks as he took -- no telling how many times he got bit or stung off-camera, if the bites/stings on camera were anything to go by.

Crikey... that's sad for his family. She knew what he was about, though, must've loved him for it.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Its sad. My feelings with the family.
But i really have to say, who gos into danger will die there.
I cant get how a father of two children can risk his live again and again, knowing he could die any moment and leave his childs without their dad, what now happend Sad
A sensless death, much to early.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Perhaps he believed what he did for conservation, the environment and wildlife, which was a lot, was just as important as being a firefighter or soldier.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Perhaps, yes.
Did he mentioned ever greenpeace, wwf or somewhat that kind?
Honest question, i didnt saw his tv show more than 3 or 4 times.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
He actually founded the Australia Zoo (now with over 400 staff), and was a leader in the drive to stop crocodile hunting being allowed in Australia as well, partly on the grounds that it was as immoral as whale hunting (and possibly illegal). Aside from that he actively encouraged other countries as well as his own to do so, and even bought large tracts of land around the world, including the USA, to turn into conservation parks.

As David Attenborough said of Irwin and his antics, "What's wrong with that? An adventure story in which the bit parts are played by animals. And that's fine. It gets people interested."

He's on Wiki: [url:2zjy1xn4]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin[/url]

Quote:He founded the Steve Irwin Conservation Foundation, which was later renamed Wildlife Warriors Worldwide, and became an independent charity. He was described after his death by the CEO of RSPCA Queensland as a "modern-day Noah", and British naturalist David Bellamy lauded his skills as a natural historian and media performer.[14] Irwin discovered a new species of turtle that now bears his name, Elseya irwini — Irwin's Turtle — a type of snapping turtle found on the coast of Queensland.

He also helped to found a number of other projects, such as the International Crocodile Rescue, as well as the Lyn Irwin Memorial Fund, in memory of his mother, with proceeds going to the Iron Bark Station Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's too damn bad. The world needs more well-intentioned, high-profile weirdos like him.

My condolences to his wife and his two young kids.

rkmvca/rich klein
Quote:Its sad. My feelings with the family.
But i really have to say, who gos into danger will die there.
I cant get how a father of two children can risk his live again and again, knowing he could die any moment and leave his childs without their dad, what now happend Sad
A sensless death, much to early.

I agree, his "luck" if thats what you call it, was bound to run out eventually. I guess when you tempt fate over and over, eventually you pay the piper. Crocodile Hunter was still a good show though, my condolences to the family.
Anabasis

A.K.A. Michael the Thinker/Tinkerer

"Those who do not choose to see past the veil of lies
and accept the truth of the realities around them are doomed to
suffer for all time" -Michael
He risked too much...
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Here is a SECRET!
If you take chances and risks, eventually YOU will die.
If you stay home safe, eventually YOU will die.

It's not whether or not you will die, because you will, everyone, but it is how you use your life, that really matters. I suspect that he was as satisfied as he would ever be!

May he have a swift journey and awaken in the presence of his Lord.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trader at TORM Steve Wagstaff Roman stuff muskitear 4 3,006 11-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Last Post: muskitear