Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
working with resin
Salve,

i got a miniature from Verlinden on a discount (the one of the Roman Dromedarius) but the thing is made of resin. My question is this: are there any special things you should know on handling with resin. I'm thinking of painting/ cutting (there is a lot of flash) etc.

thanks in advance!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Be sure to wash it in detergent to get rid of the greasy residue (just like any plastic model kit), and you need superglue to bond it (there are different densities so a model shop is always the best place to get that). A sharp craft knife usually gets rid of the flash, used carefully - I usually end up with a scraping action take a tiny layer off at a time. And of course prime it after assembly and filling in the gaps, before you paint it. It's pretty much like normal plastic kits, but the glue is different.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes. Resin dust <> healthy! Cutting it with a scalpel is no problem, but whenever you use a power tool or sandpaper on it, make sure you a) wear a dust mask and/or b) keep the resin wet, so that the dust doesn't fly around. Wet-and-dry sandpaper works well with the latter method.
Also, I know that some people are allergic to the stuff, so latex gloves may be a good idea. The stink of the stuff is probably not lethal, but an open window is a good idea anyway, especially when you're using superglue to attach all the bits.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Hi Jeroen,

Verlinden always have that big stub of resin (usually on the bottom of a torso) which is a real pain to cut or sand off and so a model saw can be good for cutting it down to size. And with Verlinden always check the fit - the gap filler superglue can be useful although good 'ole putty is always my favorite.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
i was indeed surprised to the amount of flash on the model. I tried cutting it but i'll use a saw instead.! There are indeed large gaps when i try to put the thing together :roll:

Oh well, time to bring out the green stuff!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

If a thin thing like a pilum, finger, etc is doubled, twisted, etc, you can make it straight by getting in some boiling water for a few seconds. Be careful! The resin will soften, you can make straight the piece and then waits for the piece get cold.
http://www.historex-agents.co.uk/HXOnli ... _resin.asp
Big Grin