Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
Quote:Does anyone know what happened to Forum Romanum? It's tragic that such a superb resource has gone - is it permanent?
Mr. David Camden was never an enthusiastic e-mailer, which of course is fine, but now it is really a bit sad that we can not reach him. Both Bill and I have written to him, but he has not replied. So, we do not know.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
It appears that Forum Romanum is back again.
Jona Lendering
My website
Rejoice!!! Apparently he backed it up better than we thought.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I do not know what happened to FR. It may be that there was a server problem. There was a lesson to this incident: how vulnerable ancient texts are - some of the texts on FR were only accessible over there. There was a serious risk that they would vanish, forever, in their digital form.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:There was a serious risk that they would vanish, forever, in their digital form.
One of the more sinister aspects of the internet is that nothing ever vanishes!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
An update about the Roman fort at Flevum includes a photo of a human skull. Bill recently put online an old but amusing article onliterary frauds in ancient Rome.
Jona Lendering
My website
Bill has added several articles on the origin of the name Cilicia and birth control. He continues the on-line Aulus Gellius; Latin is there, English will be there soon.

Continuing my series on ancient Libya, a little page on two obelisk-shaped tombs in a mixed Roman-Libyan style.
Jona Lendering
My website
Thanks for the links, Jona, and brilliant idea to use tinyurl.com for the asterisked addresses!
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Bill has put online two treatises by Plutarch:
* Roman sayings (Moralia 242e-263c)
* The bravery of women (Moralia 194e-208a)
Jona Lendering
My website
Last weekend, I visited the Musée de Mariemont in Morlanweltz, and added Saulzoir in northern France, which is the most likely location of the battle between Caesar and the Nervians in 57 BC. Frankly, you need a lot of imagination, but here you have some photos and here is Caesar's account.
Jona Lendering
My website
A translated version of the Biblical book of Esther, with some pictures from the place where it all happened, Susa.
Jona Lendering
My website
Bill has put online the Loeb edition's introduction to Strabo, which is the companion to his unfinished online version of the Greek geographer (here).
Jona Lendering
My website
Now available on Bill's site: the full Latin text of Ammianus Marcellinus.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Now available on a site related to Bill's: the full Latin text of Ammianus Marcellinus.
Mwoh. That one is readily available, as is a nice Dutch translation - I need an online English translation.. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Mwoh. That one is readily available
There is an online edition at Forum Romanum and one at Latin Library, but please note that they contain many mistakes, which are due to poor scanning: e.g., cli instead of dvi, occasionally UCl for uci. This one is better and will be checked against Gardthausen's Teubner.
Jona Lendering
My website