Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
I spent my Whitsun holiday putting online some photos and writing several pieces. First of all, there's more Lepcis Magna: a small piece on the Arch of Tiberius, an equally brief piece on the Arch of Trajan, both monuments along Lepcis' Cardo Maximus.

The last-mentioned piece contains two inscriptions: one is a dedication to "Augusta Salutaris", and I have no idea what kind of cult that may have been. I think it's something like Salus Augusti, but I would not be surprised if it were something like Jupiter Salutaris (=Zeus Soter), in which only the honorific title is used, and combined with a title that would have reminded everyone of the emperor. But why is it a nominative, not -as one would've expected in a dedication- a dative? The other inscription is to Lucius Verus and can be dated in the two months before he became emperor, when he was already consul II but still had his old name, Lucius Aelius. It took an hour before I understood what it was.

Then, some photos from an old holiday to Andalusia, where I paid a brief visit to Carmo (modern Carmona). I was actually interested in the ancient production of olive oil, but also visited the ancient tombs.

Finally, a little piece on the Ephesian Artemis - you know, that weird girl with that strange outfit.

There will be more Lepcis soon, but now, it's 6.30 in the morning, I've seen the spectacle of the rising sun, and now I'm off to bed for a brief nap. As always, you are invited to improve what I've written.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Jona Lendering - 05-29-2007, 04:16 AM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM