Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROMEC XVI Xanten 2007
XVI International Roman Military Equipment Conference in Xanten (D)
13–16 June 2007

"Römische Waffen in Aktion – Kampfspuren"
"Roman Weapons – Traces of Combat"
"Armes romaines en action – traces de la lutte"

Xanten, Summer 2006

Announcement – First Circular

The XVI Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC) will be held in Xanten, Germany on 13–16 June 2007. The subject of the conference is ‘Roman Weapons in Action – Traces of Combat’ and is concerned with traces left by weapons used in combat, either on or caused by the weapons themselves. The conference deals with questions such as the following: How can traces of combat be identified by examining weapons? What can be deduced, either directly or indirectly, about the use of weapons from traces observed on them?
Are the effects of individual weapon types discernable from the anthropological evidence? Do archaeological observations correspond with the information from the literary sources? Are such traces of battle reflected in the representational evidence?

The first part of the conference consists of two sections. The introduction will comprise lectures on writings of ancient authors which contain descriptions of weapons in action, as well as representational evidence of weapons in action and anthropological traces of these. This will be followed by the first main section, in which the questions outlined in the foregoing section are discussed with the aid of specific examples.

The second main component of the conference will be devoted to the practical experience in handling weapons. The aim is to not only discuss the subject in lectures but to also transfer our activities to the large-scale event being held by the Xanten Archaeological Park, entitled ‘Schwerter, Brot und Spiele’ on 16-17 June, 2007. Visitors will have the opportunity to conduct or observe archaeological experiments using replicas of Roman weapons, and to discuss the findings with archaeology technicians, experimental archaeologists and members of re-enactment groups.

The conference will of course also provide a platform for presenting and discussing current research and new evidence in the field of Roman military and Militaria research.

Programme

The programme of lectures will be as follows:
1. Roman Weapons in Action – Traces of Combat – Theory
2. Roman Weapons in Action – Traces of Combat – Practice
3. Open lectures on new research and evidence

You are welcome to make suggestions for posters for each of the three thematic sections.

Excursion

A half-day excursion to the city of Nijmegen in The Netherlands, about 50 km away, is planned for June 15. We will be visiting an exhibition at the Het Valkhof museum, that has been put together especially for the conference. It will also be possible to view material in the depots.

Application

Should you wish to attend the conference, please fill in the attached form and return it us at the Conference Office by November 15 at the latest. This can also be done by e-mail. Further information on both the XVI ROMEC and the registration formalities are available on the Internet at the following address: www.romec-xvi-xanten.de .

Cost of conference: € 120 (discount: € 70). Discounts are available to students, unemployed persons, and those accompanying participants.

Please Note

The conference office is unable to organise accommodation. Please direct your enquiries to the Tourist Information Xanten (TIX) who will be pleased to perform your booking. The TIX can be contacted either in the Internet, at www.xanten.de/de/tourismus/hotels__unte ... /index.php
or by telephone, at +49 (0)2801 983011.

Since the XVI ROMEC will be held during the main tourist season and only a limited number of beds are available in the town of Xanten, we urge you to reserve your room for the duration of the conference as soon as possible.

More info at [url:mviyn6ib]http://www.romec-xvi-xanten.de/[/url]
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
THE het Valkof eh? 8)
-Christy Beall
Quote:THE het Valkof eh?
I'm reminded of certain people who insist on referring to THE hoi poloi, Christy. Smile
(I'm sure it was a slip of the keyboard, Jasper.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hey, I just copy-pasted the press release. It IS the museum's full name and I suppose they thought it sounded bad if they said "exhibition at Het Valkhof museum"
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Hey, I just copy-pasted the press release. It IS the museum's full name and I suppose they thought it sounded bad if they said "exhibition at Het Valkhof museum"

Perhaps they ought to organize a concert by The The there...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
sounds very interesting, thx for the posting Smile
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Oh phlox! Mind you, for those interested, they do have a VERY good collection there and its well worth the visit, being so close. Most items are displayed in a classic museum style, but for the initiated, the quality and number of artifacts is very good, showing a wide range of instruments and implements. The glass they have is also of a very high standard. It's a shame they lack the space for showing more of their pottery collection, which I saw before the two musea of Nijmegen were merged.
Little is done in the way of reconstruction or envisionment, this is an area that could use improvement, but all in all, I can recommend it!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMEC 2007 registration extended to 31 december 2006!!!!!! MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 0 1,186 12-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  ROMEC XVI - 2007 Robert Vermaat 0 1,032 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat