Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating publicity
I need some feedback on a rather unusual - well, problem. About a year ago, I was more or less forced to begin a school of my own, where I now teach all kinds of courses on ancient and medieval history, together with several friends. If you can read Dutch, here is the information page. Our Jasper has once lectured for "my" people, mostly elderly who like to keep on learning.

Now, this October, I will officially announce our existence. We have almost 200 students/customers, and just found class rooms of our own in the Flemish Cultural Center in Amsterdam. So, there is some reason for a celebration; even better, we will launch our journal, Momentum. I have requested two Flemish scholars to come to Amsterdam and lecture on their research: a serious beginning, but the fact that there is a good pub nearby will be sufficient to create a nice atmosphere.

Now I am looking for a nice way to create some publicity. I know two or three journalists who are at least interested (we already had some media coverage) (more...). But I need something really brilliant. The obvious trick would be to hire a legion of reenactors, but during the past year, all my savings (and that of my best friend) have been spent and if we were not approaching our break-even point, I'd probably have to declare myself bankrupt.

So here is my question: who knows a good way to create some cheap but effective publicity?

[size=75:3ho2bict][I know this is technically some sort of commercial announcement and may constitute a violation of the forum rules; I've discussed it with Jasper.][/size]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hi Jona.
It's sort of obvious, but it depends a lot on your target audience. Something brilliant that gets you on 'Hart van Nederland' will spread the word far and wide in the country, but will likely not get you any new students.
Do at least the basics:
- get a website (or at least a domain that points to a folder on Livius) for Momentum & your school.
- write a good, catchy press release and send it to the higher ed departments of all big newspapers, and magazines. Be gutsy and send it to the competition as well!
- Collect email and snail mail addresses from anyone who visits your site/school. (Why is there no "Submit your email address for our newsletter"-box on the Livius Onderwijs page?

-
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Why is there no "Submit your email address for our newsletter"-box on the Livius Onderwijs page?
Now there is!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website