Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squamata backing: leather or linen?
Any consensus here? Those of you out there who do sport scale shirts, what is yours backed with?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
I've made my squamata on heavyand semi-rigid leather: it works great! Almost aeternal. While a friend of mine have to repair his linen based squamata very frequently and now, after about four years of use, he must to make a totally new one...

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:I've made my squamata on heavyand semi-rigid leather: it works great! Almost aeternal. While a friend of mine have to repair his linen based squamata very frequently and now, after about four years of use, he must to make a totally new one...

Vale,

Really? What's your idea of semi-rigid? Any clue what weight leather you're using?

Seems like it would kind of negate the biggest advantage of squamata (flexibility).

Also, any pictures by chance!?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Also (open for discussion) what is the evidence for either/both?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Salve,

There is a surviving scale shoulder piece from a C5th BC Scythian grave in the Crimea. It is currently in storage at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. The scales are bronze and are sewn onto a heavy leather backing.

Hope this helps.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Thanks!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
I used thick linen canvas on my cuirass. It allows the shirt to'breathe'. Leather just makes you sweat buckets! It's also a great deal easier to tailor, apply scales and generally maintain than leather.

Quote:Seems like it would kind of negate the biggest advantage of squamata (flexibility).

Scale is only flexible in the vertical plane. It doesn't flex horizontally because the scales are wired together, and applied to the backing that way.

If you'd like to see how I constructed mine, send me a PM and I'll forward the .pdf file to you. Big Grin
I have a squamata, too.

I have made mine as Peroni, using a canvas linen backing. Regarding flexibility, the first time you put a squamata are very rigid, and time after time it adapts to your body.

I haven't had problems of break the backing, as suggest by Sabatinus. My lorica have more than 4 years old.
My squamata is maybe 6 years old and I used a layer of rough silk and rough linen as backing. Never had an issue.

Very flexible, doesn't make you sweat either.

I have 5mm mail with doubling and 18g lorica and I always end up wearing the scale.

[size=150:1nectqej]John Nash[/size]
http://www.vicus.org.uk
Romans and Britons wot fight ........
I ordered a load of scales from Deepeeka and initially sewed them onto a cotton canvas backing. Now I've taken the hauberk down to bits again. Wanted to sew them onto a more period backing, and also change my design a bit.

That's me in the middle. It's an SCA photograph, so please be gentle with the (many) glaring mistakes present. The gent next to me is wearing plastic (yes, I said plastic) lamellar for Christ sake!

[Image: grandtourney.jpg]
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
I second Adrian's and Cesar's experiences, although I used hemp canvas. Sturdy stuff anyway. No problems at all. I would not use leather either - it can become very unpleasant and wet.

Franklin, for SCA you look just fine. What's this guy next to you wearing on his elbow?????
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:What's this guy next to you wearing on his elbow?????

"Sport armor" I guess is the best way to describe it. SCA combat requires full protection of knees, elbows, wrist, groin, kidney, neck, and face. This was more of a dress occassion, but apparently he had on some of his sport fighting gear.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:This was more of a dress occassion
Yeah, I noticed the lack of bars before your faces! Big Grin What kingdom do you belong to? Do you have a Late Roman unit?

I like that tiny hand just showing in the hand of the guy behind you.. Big Grin

Shall we set up a separate SCA thread?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
His daughter was about three when this photo was taken. Wanted to march with daddy in the procession! Couldn't be more precious if she tried.

These are from the Kingdom of Meridies, or the Southeast United States (Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, excluding Florida). I've since moved to Washington, DC, and once I'm on my feet may join up with Matt Amt and Leg XX for some more serious reenacting.

We don't have any organized contingent per se, but there does seem to be a huge concentration of Late Roman folks in that area. Especially odd when you consider that the SCA "period" spans about 1500 years from Christ to the New World.

Actually, I've considered starting a dedicated thread on RAT a number of times. I think there are probably lots of SCA folks just like me who are interested in making the jump to more authentic kit, etc.

I studied in the UK while I was at Uni and had the pleasure of training and playing with The Vikings (couldn't find any Roman groups nearby). There seems to be a lot of tension between SCA folks and "serious reenactors" but what struck me was how completely similar the two were! Lots of computer geeks, ex-military guys, history nerds, table-top gamers, theatre-types.

I even wrote a whole dissertation on the phenomenon of Historical Reenactment groups in the UK. Fascinating read. I'm happy to email it to anybody who's interested.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman linen/leather armour scotti73 5 1,906 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Making a leather covered quilted linen cuirass Quintilianus 26 7,464 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: TDawson
  Late Roman shield backing Caballo 5 2,365 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt