Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best blade
who produces the best quality gladius today in both the production and custom markets
Salvatore Petruso/TITVS PVLLO
Probably Erik Lechl. I am not sure, though, as I have not seen all.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Mark Morrow has my vote on blades. He can do pretty good japanese styled katana, differentially hardened which are difficult. I'm sure his through hardened gladii blades are amazing too. Plus I've seen a Falx made by him do some pretty rigorous cutting and not chip or take a bend (Roman Days, test vs a laminated scutum).

Legion: TBD
Yup, Mark's blades are really nice- I've made handles and scabbards for a bunch of them now- hispaniensis, mainzensis, fulhamensis and pompeiensis. My only qualm with them and swords made by other real bladesmiths is that they are so nice- all the edges and lines are straight and perfectly-ground. Beautiful in a blade, but not so much for an ancient weapon I think. Personally, I like a re-worked, inexpensive commercial blade (point tapered properly, edges cleaned-up, etc. as necessary) that's been weak acid treated to gray it a little, hand 'polished' to give it that 'daily rust prevention' look, with a new, accurate handle and scabbard.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
What about Albion's gladii? I have two mainz's whichI like alot!
Still trying to post pic's though.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:What about Albion's gladii? I have two mainz's whichI like alot!
Hello Byron,

Could you please add your real name to your signature? Forum rules I'm afraid.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:What about Albion's gladii? I have two mainz's whichI like alot!

They're nice, but REALLY REALLY expensive for such simple swords, not to mention that they're Albion designs- not real replicas. The handle seems to just a Romanish style, not anything real...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hello people,
sorry I forgot to add my real name this time, not often I do though. (forget too, that is! Smile )

Yes, mat they are expensive, but after buying a cheap one with a scabbard, I know which one I would rather face the barbarian hordes with!! 8) 8)

I realise they aer Albions design, but they did do their research, and the Alectus is definately the real deal!

As to not being based on anything real, well, the small number of originals still in existance, I imagine give would be a good pointer towards the wide variety of shapes and styles, even within an "official " sword type.
ie Mainz, pompeii, etc etc? :?

Can't think how the fact that it doesn't look identical to, say the fulham, or
another mainz, should discredit it any!! Smile

Mind you, their prices have gone up, and it would have been nice to have had a scabbard with it! :lol:

Sincerely and no offense intended

B. Angel
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hello people,
sorry I forgot to add my real name this time, not often I do though. (forget too, that is! Smile )

If you place your real name in your signature (which could be done under the profile link in te top of the forum), your name will always shows up, when you post, automatically

Just for your knowledge. Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Oh none taken of course Big Grin lol:

My comment about the authenticity was simply to say that for that much money, I'd expect a GREAT replica, not just some 'artist's' version of a Roman sword. And that's clearly that's what you're paying for- the Albion design, and the fact that it's a 'limited edition'.

The truth is that we have LOTS of swords and parts- the Vindonissa site alone has yielded nearly 40 pieces- guards, grips and pommels- so there's no excuse for not using a proper, authentic style except if the whole point is to have something you can copyright as your own design. For that reason I wouldn't consider Albion's Roman swords as a particularly good choice UNLESS a really beautiful piece is what you are going for over an authentic one. Certainly I wouldn't deride anyone for making that choice :wink: My own would be to spend the money on something as authentic as possible, but that's just me Big Grin I do think it's important for reenactors to know though that there is a concession to authenticity to be made if you go with Albion- they are Albion swords, not really Roman ones. I can see it really sucking to spend that kind of cash and then later realize that you don't have a truly authentic piece...

And as for the real name rule, the easiest thing to do is put it in your 'signature' in your profile- then you don't have to remember to sign each posting.
I agree with Matt L. Most replicas are too well made... 8)

If you buy a sword make by him, probably it's not so beautiful as an Albion one. But you are buying a exact replica of a roman sword. You can see his work on Marketplace section.
I don´t wanna hijack this thread and I beg the modrators to move tis if I have done so.

It would be great to get some pointers to what and how the Albionblades are "fantasy-roman" swords.

There is the albion mark on them. That we can not do anything about but in other respects what is the critique, possitive and negative, on the blades?

In addition what is the pluss and minus on the handles?

I think it is good to separate this into Handle and Blade because I think it´s possible to get the handles somewhat customised at albion on recquest but harder to do anything about the blades. The good thing with albion is their custom service and as pointed out above the price of their goods are high but with that comes that we can demand more of the product.

I also think that the artisans at albion are very intersessted in what you guys have to say about the roman stuff. Their main knowlage is medieval swords and I know that many oppinions of customers and swordusers has gone into their laterperiod products.

I am a friend of Peter Johnsson who is the chief designer of the Next Generation Line and the Museum Line at albion and know for shure that he is very interessted in your oppinions on the roman swords. I will direct him to this forum so he can take part of the discussion if he wants to.

Take care everyone.