Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news
I read with interest all of your answers.

I can confirm that any member of ARS has ever said the words written in the article published by the German newspaper. Our president, Dario Battaglia, has published already on the ARS Website a total denial of that article.

Then I believe that we can consider closed the story "article."

I would like me instead to detain on the considerations you done speaking of our collaboration with the television series Rome. Many of You believe that the use from the directors of segmentata lether, small shields, helmets of imagination and other inaccuracies respect the Roman armament, is to impute to our theory of the segmentata lether.

Everything It's wrong. We are not guilty for the historical errors that commit the directors, neither we have ever proposed to anybody to use these armaments.
The directors, when they have to make a movie, they have to think a screen-play that can be understood by the whole public to which the film is directed. The films are not "documentaries" for alone experts of the subject as we pretend to be us, the films are direct to the "great public" that few understands of helmets, shields or cuirass. The great public it doesn't interest if the Roman legionaries were equipped with the armaments that experts as us THINK is those real of the Roman legionaries.

Reenactors or archaeologists, are not the depositaries of the to know, and all of us know only some details of the Roman armament, please You not forget it.
You remember that there is still so much to discover about Roman army, but you speak as if everything what concerns the Roman army had already been discover and understands.
Very wrong to think so, according to my point of view.

The directors therefore and the productions of film, have also to make the accounts with the budgets (money) and with problem that film must be understands from the whole public. Here explained the why in the films love stories are always inserted that with battles or with Roman army not to be pertinent.
That's why a lot of times the directors have to use the material that is already in their stores, material even 20 or 30 years old!

Reenactors cannot pretend the directors to make a film as we would like it. They will never do it. A film is a film, a documentary is a documentary.

For Ebusitanus

The approach used by Ars departs really from the presupposition that of the Roman army we know few, and that therefore there is a lot still to discover.
Instead many of you think and believe that all has already been discovered by the archaeologists: then the Roman legionary wore iron segmentata, one of the so many helmets that have been found again, a gladio, the pilum (the lance was ever used even if the archaeological recoveries and the written sources say that the Romans also used the lance) and an equal shield as of Dura Europos (what it goes up again to the III century a.D.).
Besides the legionaries wore the caligae in all seasons and they were always naked afoot (but the stockings have been find again to Vindolanda - also they was men as us) and they wore the sleeves tunic short for everything year...

Here, to judge from the sentences written by many of you this was the Roman legionary, and it seems that there is not anything to discover on him. Everything has already been said and writing, nothing there is to discover.

Ars Dimicandi exactly thinks instead the contrary one, and it is from this point that we depart for our experimentations. The approach is very different and if you don't share it we respect your opinion, but this fact doesn't mean that our thought is surely wrong.

This is a very long post and I hopes that all of you can understand what I have written in my bad English. You excuse me if the post is a little clear.

Valete

P.s. for Restitvtvs

Many thanks for the beautiful words
Velite
Rita Lotti
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsdimicandi.net">www.arsdimicandi.net

Messages In This Thread
Ars Dimicandi - by Graham Sumner - 10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Re: Ars Dimicandi - by Tib. Gabinius - 10-20-2006, 05:37 PM
leather armour - by Graham Sumner - 10-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Re: leather armour - by Tib. Gabinius - 10-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Re: leather armour - by mcbishop - 10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
leather armour - by Graham Sumner - 10-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Re: leather armour - by Tib. Gabinius - 10-20-2006, 10:56 PM
leather armour - by Graham Sumner - 10-21-2006, 12:31 AM
EXPERIMENTAL ARCHAEOLOGY. - by Graham Sumner - 10-21-2006, 09:58 AM
books - by Graham Sumner - 10-21-2006, 11:50 AM
leather lorica - by Graham Sumner - 10-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Fascia - by Graham Sumner - 10-22-2006, 12:09 PM
so then - by Caius Fabius - 10-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Thank You, Rita - by Restitvtvs - 11-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Re: Ars Dimicandi about european Reenactment in german news - by Velite - 11-04-2006, 09:02 PM
serious - by Caius Fabius - 11-04-2006, 11:40 PM