Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
source for anvils
I finally got an armorer to tell me where he got his anvil (other than an antique store): Centaur Forge which not only sells anvils, but all weights and kinds, as well as other farrier equipment normally very hard to find (very large rasps, for example).
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
The blacksmith depot also has anvils, and they carry drop forged Peddinghaus anvils again. they also have some hammers good for armoursmithing.

http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
I use a hunk of railroad track I bought at my local scrap yard. It works great.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
The catalog from Centaur Forge is well worth getting. They are one of the largest horseshoeing supply companies in the US. Their catalog is about half horseshoeing supplies, with the rest being blacksmithing tools, supplies, equipment and a HUGE library of books and videos. It's the "candy store" for anyone interested in blacksmithing!

If you go to the web site of ABANA (Artist Blacksmith Association of North America) you can check their Links/Suppliers pages and see dozens of places that carry/sell anvils, along with all sorts of tools and supplies.

And used anvils get listed on ebay on a regular basis. There's usually at least a dozen good ones listed on any day. As with so many things, the shipping can get pretty expensive.

Just some humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Many metal suppliers have "anvils".. any hunk of steel will do... round, rectangular, square.... many have cut off bins, scrap... etc etc
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
In my bladesmith book, the author also mentions how to cut down a piece of railroad and gives instructions. The armorer I met in Indianapolis says those things ring much louder than real anvils.
I also note on black smith anvils the tail end hangs out, that is, tapers out from the base much farther, and thus has less to support really hard blows. This is why you need to choose an anvil with less cut out on the back side, the armorer recommended.

Also, a piece of railroad track does not have a hardie hole cut in it, so it's useless for that type of tool. Armorers all seem to have made two hardie tools from two types of cast off acytelene tanks: one smaller one that is completely rounded for making helmets, the other is from a large tank that has the dimple in it, for shaping bosses and getting helmets started ( I've seen this tool on several armorer websites: very popular tool to make).
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blacksmith Anvils etc... Lucius Duccius Rufinus 19 4,234 10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Last Post: The_Mariner