Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the first Pylos helmet I\'ve actually liked.
http://www.royalathena.com/PAGES/greekc ... HMS08.html

Confusedhock:

Anyone know who would have used such crests? It's beautiful.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
It's fugly. I would have laughed seeing someone wear this.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
yeah I'm with Mythos on this.
Valour is the strength, not of arms and legs,but of the heart and soul
-Lee
Suit yourself, guys. I think it's great.

In addition to the crest, you'll notice the tabs on either side, which were probably for attaching crescent horns or something similar.
The pilos was popular in Apulia (see Burns quoting Paddock .pdf), and some have suggested that these sorts of crests were a Celtic influence. Whether you buy that or not, it was most likely worn by an indigenous Italian, rather than an Italiote Greek.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
I think it is amazingly ugly; but it would get you noticed on the battlefield (for better or worse).
Felix Wang
This is ugly:
[Image: 07.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Whatever. I like it plenty. Big Grin

Mind you, I think every other pylos helmet looks rather stupid. :wink:
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Is this the dreaded Chthulhu-crest?
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Whatever. I like it plenty. Big Grin

Mind you, I think every other pylos helmet looks rather stupid. :wink:

People certainly haven't pulled their punches, have they? I think the crest might look nice on a proper helmet, and the possibility that it had plate horns is intriguing, but the blasted thing would still be a Pylos, for all that - and I'm with you 100% on the opinion expressed in your last sentence.

Danno, you really must see an optician. :lol:
One thing a Pylos helmet gives that a lot of other Greek helmets don't is a completely free field of vision and hearing.

This type I believe probably would be excellent for armies that were in a fluid type or war far rather than a knock down battle. I think this may be why in the Italian peninsula they are lots open eared and faced helmets.

As to the attractiveness well that up to the individual. I know some in the my group who virtual double over in pain when they are mentioned, but as they are cheaper to produce they are a good entry helmet for new starters.

I am soon to own one but god for bid you ask me to wear it.
You're quite right, Craig. Helmet designs reflect styles of warfare, and Italy is a perfect example.

I think piloi look rather smart. Of course, I also get angry when people say Apulo-Corinthians are stupid-looking. There are some quite ugly multiple-piece Corinthians out there, though.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:You're quite right, Craig. Helmet designs reflect styles of warfare, and Italy is a perfect example.

I think piloi look rather smart.

Unbelievable! Confusedhock:

Quote:Of course, I also get angry when people say Apulo-Corinthians are stupid-looking. There are some quite ugly multiple-piece Corinthians out there, though.

Why "Of course"? Why on earth would you get angry? Apulo-Corinthians are the daftest thing you can do with a helmet and they look like it! :twisted:

Both helmets were worn by ancient warriors, so I would have no objection to seeing someone who was trying to re-create the image of a warrior of the appropriate period and location wearing either type...

...Except on grounds of taste, of course. :twisted:
Seriously, I hope to see Pylos helemts available in England soon. I also hope never to see Apulo-Corinthians anywhere outside a display case!
Allow me some clarification:

Pylos = Greek city

Pilos = Cap - Hat in Greek. Originaly made from felt (Pilima) hence the name.

Kind regards
Thanks, Stefane,

My sources seem to use i and y interchangeably - they seem to think the pilos comes from Pylos.
Paul

That horse already bolted we have people with Apulo-Corinthians and they love them. Actually they very pratical again for hearing and sight.

Makes doing drill much easier when all can hear the commands