Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient 12" figures
Hello! I am new to this community but I am very interested in ancient-themed games and miniatures. I wanted to let members know about a new 12" centurion figure from a company named Ignite. The review below mentions a MSRP of $89 but I've seen it on such sites as [url=http://www.michtoy.com/" target="top]Michigan Toy Soldier[/url] for only $59.<br>
<br>
[url=http://www.actionheroes.homestead.com/reviewshundredseven.html" target="top]Ignite Roman Centurion[/url]<br>
<br>
I would be interested in knowing about any other Roman figures in this size.<br>
<br>
I purchased a resin 200 mm model of Russell Crowe as Maximus from a dealer in Taiwan. It is very representative of the actor. I haven't yet assembled or painted it yet, though.<br>
<br>
I would also like to invite members to read my free online newsletter, [url=http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~mharrsch/romanwonders.html" target="top]Roman Times[/url]. It includes a column about upcoming games and books based on ancient themes. <p></p><i></i>
He looks vaguely like Hibernicus... <p></p><i></i>
Hi Libitina, make yourself at home!<br>
<br>
The Ignite figure looks strangely like Russell Crowe but his equipment is really good looking. The doll designers must have been doing some homework.<br>
<br>
I too am into Roman-themed games and miniatures. Nice to see another lady gamer. Welcome to RAT!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Imperatrix, I didn't even notice the similarity to Maximus! <p></p><i></i>
But if you <em>had</em> noticed, I might be more worried than otherwise.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Welcome Libitina!<br>
<br>
And Casca, you know what Jenny thinks of Crowe, don't you? She'll pick him out of a huge crowd in an aged, crumpled and torn newspaper photo. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Pooh, I've discovered he's really more of a surly jerk than anything else, but let's not talk about movie stars.<br>
<br>
I'm not sure I could pay $60 for a doll, oops, action figure. Hmm, then again, I paid a few hundred dollars for a custom made Roman nutcracker, one of a kind. Go figure!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Don't speak too fast about my not noticing the resemblance to Maximus... I <em>did</em> see the resemblance to Hib.<br>
<br>
Maybe I have a Centuripus Complex...<br>
<br>
Actually the costume is too accurate to be R. Crowe, what with the pluma transversa and all.<br>
<br>
You know, if they ever come out with a plain, clean-shaven, miles character, I'd probably get one. <p></p><i></i>
Anyone else notice how little that reviewer seemed to know about the specifics of a centurion's kit? Not trying to be a jerk, but he seemed more concerned about trying to sell a gladiator reference than to notice mistakes like "pugio shortsword" or "pompei longsword," or calling the phalerae "chest protectors."<br>
<br>
I'm impressed with the job on that figure, seems very accurate. <p></p><i></i>
An interesting commercial figure!<br>
<br>
By strange coincidence I myself have just about finished a complete Roman panoply for an Action Man figure (I believe they are called GI Joe in the USA) and would thoroughly recommend it as a way of getting to understand Roman military equipment in a way one never does in any of the smaller scales..<br>
<br>
I have had to learn how to planish a shield boss (albeit in sheet aluminium) leather-lace a lorica segmentata (again in aluminium) and hobnail my own caligae boots.<br>
<br>
If any one else is intrigued enough to attempt this, then tip No. 1 is that a pingpong ball is exactly the right size for the bowl of Action Homo's helmet !<br>
Oh, and the scutum is the hardest part although it looks in advance to be the easiest.... this is exactly what the re-enactors say on their Websites, curiously enough.<br>
<br>
Anyway, I'm away now to finish off my cingulum belt/groin guard.<br>
My only disappointment is that if I sold it - like the commercial 'Gladiator' set - I would only get 60 dollars or 40 British quid!! :-(<br>
<br>
Blimey, after the work I've put in, I'd hope it'd be worth a few more bob than that!<br>
<br>
Calgacus<br>
Londinium <p></p><i></i>
Well, mate, if you sold him here on the Marketplace, you might be pleasantly surprised... we have many rabid collectors here!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Quote:</em></strong><hr> if they ever come out with a plain, clean-shaven, miles character, I'd probably get one.<hr>Don't know about the possibility -- although I have emailed HK to ask "Ignite" if its going to happen...<br>
<br>
Also, on their website is a teaser for a 2nd version <em>Centurio</em> with white feathers for a crest and red tunic and cloak... Will have to get one.<br>
=============update==============<br>
I've received no reply to my query to Ignite-HK. Oh well. A dealer I often use tells me he’s aware they intend to release that 2nd ver. <em>Centurio</em>, but no data on when… Guess we wait. <p>==========================================<BR><br>
"If there's one thing we don't want to see, it's Americans fighting Americans. I won't stand for it, not here, not anywhere." Sergeant Frank Tree, 10th Armored Division, Saturday, 13 December 1941... a little after 0701 hrs... somewhere near Santa Monica, Calif.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=comeinnighthawk>Come in Nighthawk</A> at: 2/6/04 8:31 pm<br></i>
Duane C. Young, M.A.
The 2nd version Centurio with white feathers for a helmet crest and red tunic and cloak... is very nice. The head sculpt was a little disappointing, but I've come to expect little to no animation in that department from Ignite.<br>
<br>
A third figure has just been released, "Roman with Marching Pack." He is "sans" armor, helmet, shield, pugio, and other kit, that I thought he should've come with. Also, the "Marching Pack" is basically a leather sack, not the "satchel" seen in many reconstructions.<br>
<br>
On the "plus" side he comes with a cross bar to shoulder, a turf cutter and "dolabra" (minus a guard for either blade), a "pot and pan," a pail, and eating utensils.<br>
<br>
Overall, he’s good for kit bashing material to use with other figures, but rather disappointing "stand alone." One final thought. The head sculpt, while un-animated, has a visage that I would have pictured "Marcus Didius Falco" looked like!! Sorry Ms. Davis! <p>==========================================<BR><br>
"If there's one thing we don't want to see, it's Americans fighting Americans. I won't stand for it, not here, not anywhere." Sergeant Frank Tree, 10th Armored Division, Saturday, 13 December 1941... a little after 0701 hrs... somewhere near Santa Monica, Calif.</p><i></i>
Duane C. Young, M.A.
Quote:</em></strong><hr>...if they ever come out with a plain, clean-shaven, miles character, I'd probably get one.<hr><br>
<br>
Further to my last, the "marching pack" <em>miles</em> who reminds me of what I have pictured Falco looking like... He is clean-shaven. As also is the "Republican Legionary" that came out just before him. The "Marching Pack" is actually the fourth Roman that Ignite has released, not the third, as I had first stated...<br>
<br>
Most infuriatingly, the "Republican Legionary" head sculpt is so large, he can not wear the Centurion's helmet!! And even more infuriatingly, the "Marching Pack" head sculpt is so large, he can not wear the Republican's helmet!! Interchangeability is not possible. Fortunately a small number of the DML head sculpts are small enough to wear the Ignite helmets, so as I prefer the DML “Neoâ€ÂÂ
Duane C. Young, M.A.
If you're looking for a well proportioned, and very nicely made, action figure, you could always completely replace the supplied figure with the one at this link.<br>
www.jerrysartarama.com/ar...nline/4529<br>
<br>
I don't have the link for the manufacturer, but they are apparently bringing out a flesh coloured one in March. In the meantime, you could get the paints out They are also to the same scale as 12" action figures. I've started on a segmentata for it.<br>
<br>
Jim. <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!