Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st C - Toggles/Fasteners/Closures?
Hello all,

Does anybody have any finds images of first century toggles, closures or fasteners? As an example, I'm looking for something that may have been typically used to fasten a paenula.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Goring.
Scott Goring
Hi Scott,

Here's a bronze toggle from Chester.... It could certainly be used on a paenula. The tombstone of the Camomile Street soldier shows a paenula with both toggles and buttons.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... button.jpg

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/learni ... my/o1.html
Hello Scott

We simply do not have enough evidence to say anything was typically used to fasten Paenula cloaks. The Camomile soldier would appear to have two types one circular the other like those on a duffel cloak. The latter toggle type (or even the circular type too) could therefore have been wood, bone or bronze and the example Adrian has shown would appear to be far easier to attach to the cloak than some of the so called button and loop fasteners.

The centurion on the Chatsworth relief also appears to have some types of fastener but many other examples of Paenula cloaks appear to be simply sewn up at the front in a variety of different lengths.

Adrian

I wonder why the Grosvenor Museum originally thought the fastener was for a leather jerkin?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:I wonder why the Grosvenor Museum originally thought the fastener was for a leather jerkin?

I've wondered that myself Graham! Unless there were remains of leather within the find context, how would you come to that conclusion? :?
Gents,

Thanks very much for your pictures and prompt replies. That certainly gives me something to work with and will allow me a little latitude.

Best regards,

Scott Goring
Scott Goring