Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources for Hellenistic warfare after Alexander
Hello all,

I have been occasionally lurking on this interesting forum after Dan Howard brought it to my attention. I thought I'd sign up to enlist members' help in suggesting sources for research for a coming paper (and for reading for fun should time run out before I've read everything I really want to!) I am a Canadian undergraduate with a long-term hobby interest in premodern warfare. I will probably introduce myself properly in the Introductions thread at some point.

I am working on a high-quality undergraduate essay on Hellenistic warfare, with an emphasis on the interaction between Greek and non-Greek troops, military traditions, and fighting styles. I have read most of the classics on Achaemenid Persia (Olmstead, J.M. Cook, etc) and on Classical warfare (Connolley, K.J. Anderson's "Military Theory and Practice", VDH's hoplite battle book, etc.) I also have other useful sources on the Achaemenid army such as Paul Rahe's Cunaxa article, the Encyclopedia Iranica articles on "army" and "kardakes," Nick Sekunda's two relevant Ospreys ("Army of Alexander the Great" and "Achaemenid Persian Army"). I have read part of G.T. Griffith's The Mercenaries of the Hellenistic World and will look at one B. Bar Kochva's The Selucid Army: Organization and Tactics in the Great Campaigns. There are also the primary sources, although for the Hellenistic period they are famously difficult and I expect I will only have time and space to read and analyze bits and pieces.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any good general surveys of Hellenistic warfare available in the university or department libraries. Recommending books in case I'm wrong, or can get them through interlibrary loan or purchase, would nevertheless be appreciated. A lot of surveys of Classical warfare skimp on bibliography, and skip from Alexander's death to the rise of Rome with little detail on Hellenistic warfare. I understand that Duncan Head has written a useful book on Hellenistic warfare, and one on the Achaemenid army, but am not sure I will be able to get ahold of either, especially since the latter is long out of print.

One area I am especially interested in is the incoroporation of Near Eastern troops and fighting styles into Hellenistic armies. Hellenistic tactics were characterized by the use of combined arms, and there were only so many Greeks and Macedonians available, even for the phalanx. I know that there was some recruitment of 'native' pikemen, especially since Egypt and Mesopotamia had respectable heavy infantry traditions of their own, but details are hard to find.

I have access to a decent reference library with interlibary loan privileges and access to resources like JSTOR, and about six weeks before the paper is due. Again, I'm looking in particular for good discussions of Hellenistic warfare after Alexander, and for sources on recruitment and non-Hellenic troops.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Hi Sean, welcome from the realm of lurkdom into the ancient world. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We had a similar discussion here, a few months back.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the link, D.B. Dr. Heckel wrote our sourcebook (an excellent excuse for me to finally read the primary sources on Alexander's battles, that), and it looks like his bibliography of sources should provide more help.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Hi Sean,

I can recommend the following books. I have read them and can say they're pretty good.

- 'Seleucid and Ptolemaic Reformed armies 168-145 BC' (2 volumes) (Montvert) by N. Sekunda

- 'The Armies of Bactria 700BC - 450 AD' (Montvert) by V. Nikonorov

- 'The Achaemenid Persian Army' (Montvert) by D. Head

- 'Macedonian Warrior: Alexander's elite infantryman' (Warrior 103)
by W. Heckel and R. Jones (Osprey)
Laran aka Sait
Quote:Hi Sean,

I can recommend the following books. I have read them and can say they're pretty good.

- 'Seleucid and Ptolemaic Reformed armies 168-145 BC' (2 volumes) (Montvert) by N. Sekunda

- 'The Armies of Bactria 700BC - 450 AD' (Montvert) by V. Nikonorov

- 'The Achaemenid Persian Army' (Montvert) by D. Head

- 'Macedonian Warrior: Alexander's elite infantryman' (Warrior 103)
by W. Heckel and R. Jones (Osprey)
Thanks Laran. I had only heard of one of those, and they look interesting. However, hasn't Montvert vanished and its books gone out of print, with some like the Achaemenid Persia book scarcer than hen's teeth?
Nullis in verba

Quote:However, hasn't Montvert vanished and its books gone out of print, with some like the Achaemenid Persia book scarcer than hen's teeth?
Yep. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:However, hasn't Montvert vanished and its books gone out of print ...
I was always struck by the coincidence of "Montvert" and "Greenhill". Same publisher, different name? I think we should be told.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hi Sean,

No one has mentioned

W. Goralski "Arrian's Events After Alexander: Summary of Photius and Selected Fragments", in The Ancient World, Volume 19, Numbers 3 and 4, Chicago, 1989, pp. 81 - 108.

Also, any discussion of Tactica would be useful as they seem to really take off as a genre in the Hellenistic period (almost as if they thought they could emulate Alexander by reading a book!).

If you look at the surviving opening paragraphs of the three that survive they are remarkably similar: (from Aelian) "The theory has been elaborated by Aeneas (who also composed a considerable number of strategic books, of which Cineas the Thessalian made an epitome) in great detail, and by Pyrrhus of Epirus, who composed a treatise on tactics, and by Alexander his son, and by Clearchus, as well as Pausanias, by Euangelus, by Polybius of Megalopolis, a man of multi-faceted learning and the companion of Scipio, by Eupolemus and by Iphricates [sic in Devine's translation]. The Stoic Poseidonius also wrote a tactical theory, and many others, some in introductions, like Bryon, others in large-scale works"

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexander, cuneiform sources, Cartledge Jona Lendering 4 1,982 07-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering