Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
miniature Roman redoubts and artillery
I am looking to model a somewhat accurate miniature version of Caesar's siege works at Alesia... I have some good photos and diagrams of the palisades, towers, etc. but no reference materials for the redoubts... Has anyone created positions like these for miniatures gaming? Any nice, detailed historical descriptions of redoubts out there? Also, I could use some good drawings or diagrams of Roman artillery, especially the scorpion. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! <p></p><i></i>
in another thread is saw this link:<br>
[url=http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/conspiracy/events/2000/alesia/" target="top]pease1.sr.unh.edu/conspiracy/events/2000/alesia/[/url] <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
A great flame follows a little spark.<br>
Dante Alighieri,The Divine Comedy<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I too am thinking of doing this. I have large armies in both 6mm and 15mm. My thoughts:<br>
<br>
For a 6mm game I'm going to buy wooden furring strips which are about a 1/2" 15mmish high and 2" wide. I'll paint then up with a look of earthen and wooden ramparts and my 40mmx15/20mm stands of infantry can set right on them. this will be a cheap way to recreat the defenses around Alesia. Also I'm thinking if just getting some felt to cut and recreat the Caesar's Gardens which lay before the defenses, and maybe decorate them with a fine tipped magic marker.<br>
<br>
For 15mm I did buy, on ebay, 6 feet of 15mm earthen embankments, nicely painted and flocked, with spikes and have also made a few extra feet myself. Not enough for a whole Alesia in 15mm but enough to cover a Cohort level battle (1:1) scale with an appropriate Warband sized unt. Again following the lumber analogy buying 1x3" lumber laying it flat gives good 15mm walls. At a model RR store, you can buy different kinds of paper or plastic facings to glue on the front if your not into painting them. You can even embellish the texture by buying a box of wooden matches cutting off the heads to get good timbers.<br>
<br>
Toothpicks make great spikes and you could pick up modelling clay for a quick and temporary solution (or bake them for permanent earthworks).<br>
<br>
As for ALesia itself, my son made a nice 16"x16" castle out of clay and fired it in his Grandmother's kiln. It'll work for either 6mm or 15mm.<br>
<br>
Los <p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I have some good photos and diagrams of the palisades, towers, etc<hr><br>
<br>
Can you share them? I am thinking of doing this on 1:72 scale. <p></p><i></i>
Strike first, ask later!