Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized
Quote:But you're not a Roman. You're an American
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, you're 100% absolutely correct that I am not a Roman citavus, but that doesn't exclude me from being Romanus. I don't have to join the Bungee Jumping Club to be a bungee jumper. Tongue

Quote:This to me is no different than dissillusioned people caught up in hollywood romanticised renditions of Samurai or Medieval Knights, believing that if they read the Hagakure, or the Bushido Code, that they can be modern Samurai. It's worse when they get a wake-up call once they begin to pursue japanese swordsmanship, or other traditional budo arts. The fact is there are no more Samurai, just as there are no more Romans in the sense you are trying to reincarnate.
I'm not trying to reincarnate Rome. Nova Roma already tried that and failed miserably. On the contrary, amice, I'm trying to revive that certain Roman spirit. I laugh as I think about me and my friends dressed up in togae sitting in the Curia and thinking that any lex we try to promulgate will be heeded by the populi. Mehercule! I'm not a necrophiliac. I just appreciate it. As to the legionaires here who appreciate Roman military, I appreciate Roman politics.

Quote:While you're not forcing anyone to do anything, you must have certain regulations and procedures which must be followed and upheld if you join your group, correct?
Sure! But no different than here.

Quote:Since this isn't something you do as a hobby part time, i can only assume that it's a way of life.
Whatever gave you that idea?

Quote:Those not following your "code" therefore are not part of the club. Those who break your rules are subject to punishement of some kind no?
Yes, we ban Nazis, racists, sexists, and other bigots. We also ban disruptive people.

Quote:You don't speak latin, you don't wear Roman clothes, and don't worship Roman Gods...yet you claim to be a Roman. Am I missing something here?
Yes. You're too literal.

Quote:Again, it seems you're taking what is conveniant for you, out of what you've interpreted to be a "Roman", and giving it that label, when what you are doing isn't being a Roman at all, since it's quite physically impossible, not to mention a bit odd. I think the reason you don't have people flocking to your banner is because most people realize this.
Confusedhock:
No, I've had plenty flock to my "banner", unfortunately just not here. Nova Roma is actually quite a large and worldwide assembly. I think as long as you keep taking me literal, you might persuade others to take this literally as well! Amice, I know it's not physically Roman! I'm not born under a great name during the period of 753 BC to 476 CE in the Republic or Empire. I think women ought to hold public office, heinous during Roman times, and I drink green tea, something I doubt a Roman ever did. Clearly, I said modernized for a very good reason. It's modern! I don't have a time machine, nor would I want one. Yesterday's then, but today is now. What some here do for military, is it that inconceivable that someone would want to do with other parts of Rome?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Chris Weimer - 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 10-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Roman Politics - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Re: Roman Politics - by Chris Weimer - 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
generic links - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the political system of the Roman Republic unique? Corvus 3 2,055 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus