Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized
You also said after quoting me (in bold):

But you're not a Roman. You're an American

"The two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, you're 100% absolutely correct that I am not a Roman citavus, but that doesn't exclude me from being Romanus. I don't have to join the Bungee Jumping Club to be a bungee jumper."

Aren't they? The last person who could make anyone a Roman has been dead for centuries. I can sit here though and claim anything I want. Without an official organization or ruling body to give authenticity to my claim, then i'm just another average joe with beliefs and ideas like anyone else. The differences lay in the legitamacy and validity of the claims. So to use your example of the bungee club...you may do similar things to said club, if you bungee jump on your own, but since you don't have the membership card, pay the fees, go to the meetings and so forth, you're not a legitamate bungee jumper. You're just a person who is doing something similar, but since you're not following the bungee jumping club's regulations and standards, you aren't a true bungee jumper in the legitamate sense.

To put it into perspective, I have a full and pretty accurate 2nd century legionary panoply which I wear to reenactment events. But it doesn't make me a roman, now does it?

Do you see the difference?

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Magnus - 10-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 10-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Roman Politics - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Re: Roman Politics - by Chris Weimer - 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
generic links - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the political system of the Roman Republic unique? Corvus 3 2,055 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus