Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share your Roman Artwork
Thanks for the offer, but the site you pointed me to has a lot of great grass textures on it, so I'll just use one of those.

The geometric grass in the model would be part of the highest level of display. In addition to grass, I would put in other flora common to Roman gardens. The smaller garden in the House of the Faun was probably a formal garden, and the larger one further to the back was likely an informal one, containing various trees, including fruit-bearing ones. I would like to accurately reconstruct the gardens based on other examples in Pompeii. I think it would greatly increase the realism of the model.
Ethan Gruber
[Image: gladiatorpainting.jpg]

I am stuck at home after breaking my ankle so I've had a go at painting some gladiators, Its a pain being immobile but I'm getting kit made, painting, naalbinding and research done. The silver lining of the cloud. :lol:
Deb
Quote:What do you mean?

Yes sorry, I was offshore and could not see the images!!

I can now see what all the fuss is about!! :o o D
You have found the plans for my dream home!!!! 8) 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here is a render of the new house I am working on: The House of the Drinking Contest at Seleucia Pieria, the port city of Roman Antioch. The date of this house is 3rd century A.D.

(click image for larger version)

[Image: house_of_the_drinking_contest_small.jpg]

I'm using several textures from the site Mythos_Ruler recommended (namely, the terracotta roof tile, marble, plaster, and stone). They were basically photos so I had to edit them further to make them tile.
Ethan Gruber
Quote:Here is a render of the new house I am working on: The House of the Drinking Contest at Seleucia Pieria, the port city of Roman Antioch. The date of this house is 3rd century A.D.

(picture)

I'm using several textures from the site Mythos_Ruler recommended (namely, the terracotta roof tile, marble, plaster, and stone). They were basically photos so I had to edit them further to make them tile.

Wow, really nice. I like the details on the mosaic floor! Well done. Laudes!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you! The courtyard is covered in a mosaic as well, but I have to wait until I receive that image from the museum.
Ethan Gruber
Komet, that mosaic is amazing! Very nice.

Vipsania/Tracie
Quote:[Image: gladiatorpainting.jpg]

I am stuck at home after breaking my ankle so I've had a go at painting some gladiators, Its a pain being immobile but I'm getting kit made, painting, naalbinding and research done. The silver lining of the cloud. :lol:
Deb

Very nice work Deb! Good luck with the leg!
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Quote:Here is a render of the new house I am working on: The House of the Drinking Contest at Seleucia Pieria, the port city of Roman Antioch. The date of this house is 3rd century A.D.

(click image for larger version)

[Image: house_of_the_drinking_contest_small.jpg]

Nice render. What program do you use?
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
May the horse be with you!
[url:17bayn0a]http://www.makltd.biz[/url]
Thanks. I use Maya with mental ray as the renderer.

Here is a timelapse animation of standing in the triclinium, looking west on March 21, A.D. 200: http://people.virginia.edu/~ewg4x/timelapse.mov
Ethan Gruber
Thanks Ethan, always loved timelapse.

The one little thing I noticed, is the lack of texturing on the edges of the roof tiles. I try and avoid this by making each row of tiles an extruded semi circle. Just being picky, it's great work!

PS: We use C4D.
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
Thanks for the tip. I'm still working on this house, so texturing the ends of the tiles will be one of the final things I do in the coming weeks. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm still missing several of the key mosaics and have to add in a fountain into the courtyard.
Ethan Gruber
Komet, I am very pleased you found that site helpful. I am using their free reference images a LOT for 0 A.D., especially for terrain textures and buildings.

Here is my latest modeling and texture for 0 A.D. It's a Roman Centurio.

[Image: romancenturion.th.jpg]

The UV map stretches the texture map on the body mesh in some places, but it can't be helped. Any thoughts on the look of it guys?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I'm doing further analysis of the House of the Drinking Contest in Seleucia Pieria, which requires many different renders from a variety of views and a variety of days of the year. I have settled on A.D. 230 for my year since the last phase of the house is dated to the late Severan period.

One can see with some timelapse videos there is a large difference between the shading of the courtyard between the summer and winter.

[Image: render48_small.jpg]
View from the triclinium, looking south.

[Image: render52_small.jpg]
View of the courtyard, August 1, A.D. 230, 4pm. Light starts to shifts as the sun sets over the western wall of the courtyard. In an hour from this point, the light will reach the triclinium, illuminating its mosaic.
Ethan Gruber
Nice work Ethan. Are you using GI or multi lighting?
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson