Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women fighters in ancient Greece.
2 chiton points.
Ankle length chiton was usually priviledge of the Aristokratic ladies.
Peasant girls woud were knee length like the Artemis statue in Louvre.

279 B.C. guerilla reconstruction tips.
Knee length chiton. Animal pelt or light pelta shield (optional)
Weapons dagger, javeline, axe, club
Captured Celtic dagger an option.
Some Locrian or Phokian wone were probably archers or slingers.

Rag tag militia wall defender reconstruction tips.
The only case where ankle length chiton might appear.
The weapons sound funny but they were very deadly :!: :twisted:
roof tile or other stone.
Club.
Meat cleaver (some look like kopis actually)
Cast iron frying pan (heavier than a mace-cracks scull under the Corinthian helm) :twisted:

I you feel like laughing I assure you that Keomenes of Sparta did not.

Kind regards
I have a heavy iron frying pan for sale. Arthes? Susanne? Stefane, doesn't the word "machaira" mean something like "meat-cleaver"?
:lol: Do not sell weapons to women Paul!

Yes, machaira is meat-cleaver.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Machera = knife. Can be used for meat cleaver if it is large enough.

Certain butchers cleavers that I have seen are like kopis.
I an inclined tothink that kopis sword orginated from the buchers cleaver.

Cast iron frying pans have not changed appearence for 3000 years.
That means that granny´s pan would be like great,great....great granny´s Smile

I agge with Yannis. No weapons to women unless the enemy attempts to climb the walls :twisted:

Kind regards
Quote:I have a heavy iron frying pan for sale. Arthes? Susanne? Stefane, doesn't the word "machaira" mean something like "meat-cleaver"?
The way my back is going....I think I will be attacking with the sausages from the frying pan....veggie ones of course..! Or even a Spartan/Sarmatian version......they call it black pudding....!
Machaira....I think it is the origin of machete.......!!!!!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I am not an arms dealer, but a simple merchant of cookware and roof-tiles... :twisted:

On the photographic evidence, we may have slipped up at Watford ( see Arthes' and Susanne's avatars!) :oops:
Women could help indirectly in a battle.

Polyaenus: Stratagems - BOOK 4
[1] Argaeus.

In the reign of Argaeus king of Macedonia, the Taulantii under their king Galaurus made an incursion into Macedonia. Argaeus, whose force was very small, directed the Macedonian young women, as the enemy advanced, to show themselves from mount Ereboea. They accordingly did so; and in a numerous body they poured down from the mountain, their faces covered by wreaths, and brandishing their thyrsi instead of spears. Galaurus, intimidated by the numbers of those, whom instead of women he supposed to be men, sounded a retreat; whereupon the Taulantii, throwing away their weapons, and whatever else might retard their escape, abandoned themselves to a precipitate flight. Argaeus, having thus obtained a victory without the hazard of a battle, erected a temple to Dionysus Pseudanor; and ordered the priestesses of the god, who were before called Kladones by the Macedonians, to ever afterwards be distinguished by the title of Mimallones.

Kind regards
I may be wrong but i supposed by the title of the thread that we are going to reffer to warrior women in Greece if there were any. Thre are no elements indicating real female warriors. And by real i mean women trained as men and participate in real operations beyond throwing stones from the walls to besiegers. That action does not make somebody a warrior but merely a normal person in exraordinary situation acting beyong himself.

There are many refferences from greek and worldwide history of mobilisation of the whole population in times of need, even groups of people that you wouldnt expect. Example. One of the greatest heroes and fighter of greek revolution Papaflessas was a priest and not of the lowest rank. During the invasion in Crete German officers testify that in their suprise they realised that women, children and even priests were shooting at them or waited the paratroopers in the fields with pitchforks (you can imagine why they waited, certainly not as welcome comitee). In the Grecoitalian war during WWII women of Epirus helped the troops by supplying them not only with food but also carrying cases of amounition on their backs on mountains.
In the siege of negroponte by Turks the Venetians armed all able boys up to 12 years old with crossbows, and if we take the accounts seriously they did quite a damage to Turks.

What i try to point is that those are not ''female warriors'' just women that were caught in the middle. Its nothing like the russian women troopers or fighter pilots, its nothing like the Scythian women, or The greek Heroine Bouboulina that commanded a ship in a ''Artemisia'' fashion.

There is not such thing as women hoplites and if a lady appear with a frying pan, she better have a nice fish in it Big Grin D
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Amen Idomeneas! Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Big Grin D
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Well with the exception of the 279 B.C. guerrillas I will agree with Yannis.

It is clear that the ladies never took the field.

That doesn't mean they were weaklings and that refused to do their bid if the going got tough.

But in my opinion the women of Platea vs the Thebans deserve the title warriors NOT soldiers!

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient coins returned to Greece Justin I 0 1,102 08-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Justin I
  Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology Agesilaos 26 16,928 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: lucius Gellius cuniculus
  The Laws Of War In Ancient Greece Narukami 2 1,533 06-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Gulan