Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the greatest emperor
Quote:Constantine? Not to be an arguer here, but would you please explain why you think he is the greatest Emperor?

Personally, I have little to no respect for him. In fact, I think he is way overrated because of his "embrace of Christianity," which was really more of a political move than out of his sincere faith, so I have read.
While true it appears to have been a political move rather than actual faith, could it not be one of his greatest achievements, still? To be able to see the tide of religious opinion shifting and side with the up-and-comer? Even Gaius Julius knew to get his support by winning the people.

Anyway, I'd have to say Augustus is tops. For without him there would not have been an Empire for the others to enjoy.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:Theodosius I

Great!!!!
[Image: theodosios.jpg]
Carme
[url:utwukq64]http://www.primagermanica.com[/url]
[Image: vexilium.jpg]
Augustus. He saved Rome by killing the republic, which was in the process of national suicide. He created the empire, and was the bench mark for all emperors who followed...some of whom were brilliant and successful in their own rights.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
hmmm sorry i don't want to start any argument and i surely respect your choice but imho there was never such a series as uncapable, overestimated bunch of emperors as the Theodosian dynasty in the whole Roman history. Theodosius himself simply doesn't deserve the term "great" given to him by christian writers for he did nothing but show complete ignorance and intolerance. if one emperor ever desverved the dm it would be him. Sorry don't want to offend anyone here and I appreciate all your opinions but this is some kind of a weak spot for me and always kind of makes me sad. Sorry.

ok and after saying that and looking at my avatar....

Flavius Claudius Iulianus

followed by Marcus Aurelius (what a surprise)

on a sidenote: i think Nero and Domitianus are seen way too negative because of Tacitus and Suetonius propaganda. Imho Nero might be one of the best emperor's of the first century, if not THE best (besides Augustus)
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Why are most of late Roman reenactors (me included) fans of Julian the Apostate?

I'd also vote for Galla Placidia (she was Augusta as well).
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Fauentiane, it's like you called my reply stuffed of those things you already know, but let me repeat them for the rookies! Big Grin

Maybe simply for his incredible and adventurous life? For his enormous knowledge and learning? For his writer skills? For his extreme intelligence? For his wise way to reign? For his mind goodness? For his plain, stoical and moderate style? For his strategic vision of the imperial targets? For his "imperial" vision of the historical cycles and their repeating themselves? For his indefatigable work? For his courage in battle always in first line? For his strategical skills in campaigns and battles as commander? For his neoplatonic point of view about an armonically traditional religious sincretism? Because he was an initiated as other "good" previous emperors to the mistery cults in his touching attempt to get the spiritual truth?
Have I tell the most important reason too? Naaah... :twisted:

It's enough, maybe... IULIANE VIVAS! Big Grin

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
:wink:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:I'd also vote for Galla Placidia (she was Augusta as well).

Thanks!!!! You are a right legionary.

Carme
Quote:Why are most of late Roman reenactors (me included) fans of Julian the Apostate?
I'd also vote for Galla Placidia (she was Augusta as well).

Julian was one of the few emperors who did not mind being made fun of (most emperors punished this heavily) and lowered taxes.

Galla Placidia, well. Don't think ill of me, but even wehen wives of augusti received the title and could be very influential, they never had rights to rule. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Vespasian for me. He had umble beginnings and he rose to the highest "rank" of all. Great general, popular with the plebs, and (essentially) one of them as well.
Jack
Up the Augusta!
Quote:Galla Placidia, well. Don't think ill of me, but even wehen wives of augusti received the title and could be very influential, they never had rights to rule. Cry

Galla Placidia managed to be daughter, granddaughter, sister, wife, mother and aunt of emperors.
Placidia took charge of the regencia during the minority of her son (425-437). It was a key figure between Visigoths and Romans; later thanks to her strong ecclesiastic influence, help to give summit to an empire on the verge of expiring.

"Galla Placidia Augusta
Placidia served as Valentinian's regent for the first twelve years of the young emperor's reign. An early supporter of the new regime was the Count of Africa Boniface, who had not recognized Johannes. A rival for influence was Aetius, who had the support of the Huns. But Placidia's initial choice for supreme general was a certain Felix, who in 430 was murdered on the orders of Aetius: according to one report, Placidia herself had instructed Felix to kill Aetius. Meanwhile, in Africa Placidia's erstwhile ally Boniface had declared his independence, and after Placidia sent an army against him, Boniface was said to have responded by inviting the Vandals to come to his assistance. The Vandal threat became so great, however, that a reconciliation between Boniface and Placidia was reached. In 432, Boniface returned to Italy and defeated his rival Aetius, but was killed in the process. After a brief period of exile, Aetius was restored to favor and became Patrician and Master of Soldiers. The rise of Aetius, coupled with Valentinian's eventual majority, worked to reduce Placidia's direct authority, although she continued in a position of influence up to her death."

Extracted of :
http://www.roman-emperors.org/galla.htm

Carme
You're right - as a regent she had the rights. But had she not been a regent, she'd never had been able to pass a single law. Roman rules...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well. yes it's true but today same happens.... is not "really" a roman rule.....:twisted:

Always we will speak about the best emperor, the best MAN... but will we never be able to speak about the best empress? Behind a great man there is a great woman... Tongue

Carme
Quote: Well. yes it's true but today same happens.... is not "really" a roman rule.....:twisted:
You are SO right! But we're not allowed to discuss that. Modern poltics. Not Roman rules but forum rules..

Quote: Always we will speak about the best emperor, the best MAN... but will we never be able to speak about the best empress? Behind a great man there is a great woman... Tongue
And right again! But that would be a different question. Can you start a new thread next to this one? Who was the best empress/wife of an emperor?[/quote]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
From a Roman perspective, I would have to say Trajan for the same reason Danno Ulpius gave, namely that Romans would measure later emperors against both Augustus and Trajan.

In regard to achievements in humanities, Marcus Aurelius for showing that Roman emperors were not merely some person on high, but were truly real humans (i.e. Meditations).

Hardian and Septimius Severus are high on my list as well, though I'm a little more cautious about Septimus Severus because of how he got to power and the general decay after he came to power.
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]