Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for older PC wargames?
Hi,<br>
<br>
I'm not much of a wargamer, but I've been itching for years to have a go on the PC. There's no way I can run the cool looking Total War coming out, though!<br>
<br>
I wondered if there were any older games out there for the PC (5 or 6 years?) which still provided pretty nice top down wargaming simulations? I don't care about graphics (in the the fewer the better). Its the results and level of tactical reality I'm after.<br>
<br>
Can anyone suggest anything? <p>Paul Elliott<br>
<br>
<strong>Heroes of Delphi</strong> - Classical Greece gone D20<br>
<strong>Zenobia</strong> - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire<br>
<strong>Warlords of Alexander</strong> - Kingdoms in conflict for the ruins of Alexander's Empire<br>
<br>
www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html</p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Why not try Legion - it runs on anythign from a PII upwards in 800x600 resolution, so almost anyone can play it.<br>
<br>
www.slitherine.co.uk/Legi...nIndex.htm<br>
<br>
I am biased though <p></p><i></i>
The best game i remember for research was a game from the 80's, the encyclopedia of anciant battles: you could fight from the beggining of the republic until the late empire with the correct names of units (hastati, velites, lanciari, clibanari, etc). <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The best game i remember for research was a game from the 80's, the encyclopedia of anciant battles: you could fight from the beggining of the republic until the late empire with the correct names of units (hastati, velites, lanciari, clibanari, etc). <hr><br>
<br>
Does the game called really "the encyclopedia of anciant battles" ?<br>
<br>
And any idea, where I can get it ? <p></p><i></i>
BAck in the late 80's I had a game for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (with a whopping 128k RAM, folks) that I'm sure was called Encyclopedia of Ancient Battles. Maybe its the same one Taira1180 is talking about. Absolutely fantastic for its time.
It was indeed that game. A version in PC is available in this site of free games (so, it's not a "pirate" site).

http://www.freeoldies.com/