This is one of my jobs, what thoughts?
www.hephestus.net/falcata_iberica.htm

Vale
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
WOW Confusedhock: !!

It looks shockingly good! How much would one of those cost?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:the rib of the "blade" is clearly not forged in the metal but added on to it.
Unless that's the scabbard? The smaller piece in Rob's photo looks hollow. What unsettles me about it are the two large studs on the grip which seem a tad impractical, but then they could have been flush with the surface of the organic grip I suppose.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
might indeed be the scabbard Tarbi......

still unclear........ but if its a sword it might be a derivation of the falcata, not a falcata as such, and wether or not it is military....

there were also civilians working with the clasis germanica

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
As for the "ridge", as Uwe pointed out above, "...there are even still visible parts of the sheath decoration and the remains of a little knife that usually was attached at the falcata sheath and now seems to be corroded to the falcata's blade. "
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Clearly the blade it's too straight to be considerated as a falcata.

Could be one kind of gladiatorial weapon? Why not a sica?
in a way a bit like the two little knives attached to the Kukri knife and the little kozuka knives some japanese swords have...!

interesting!!!!!!!

but the blade still seems straight to me......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:As for the "ridge", as Uwe pointed out above, "...there are even still visible parts of the sheath decoration and the remains of a little knife that usually was attached at the falcata sheath and now seems to be corroded to the falcata's blade. "

It's the more logical explanation.
Vale
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Yes it indeed is! but to name it Falcata just because the hilt resembles a falcata grip goes a bit far in my opinion.
:lol:

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
It's one possible reconstruction?
[Image: modifica%20falcata%201.jpg]

Valete
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Looks like a falcata to me Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
What does Mike Bishop think????

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
INHO, A falcata! The greeks used something similar, but the name escapes me. Smile roll:

B. Angel
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is NOT a Falcata, as it lacks the profile of a true falcata; only the hilt resembles one. The profile of the main edge is not concave in its proximal part, so it is NOT a falcata of Spanish manufacture. Certainly it is NOT a kopis/machaira either of the Etruscan or Greek types.

Size is OK for a short sword. So far, ito me t looks a very late, (perhaps fashionable to a Roman officer?) version of a Spanish falcata by one who only had a slight idea of how falcatas looked like almost a century before.

Anyway, it is now certainly the last of its kind.

BTW, handgrip metal applications would be OK in a true falcata.
Quote:It is NOT a Falcata, as it lacks the profile of a true falcata; only the hilt resembles one. The profile of the main edge is not concave in its proximal part, so it is NOT a falcata of Spanish manufacture.
If the blade is still in the scabbard how can we tell?

[url:3cm65m0u]http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/iberian-falcata/falcata.jpeg[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The helmet from Laurium / Woerden NL Robert Vermaat 12 4,459 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Last Post: garrelt
  Found: part of the Woerden castellum/The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 0 953 11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat