Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Circle Panuela ?
Thanks for the idea!

Graham the reason I had to use two pieces of cloth is because ..........well I am cheap.

I had some nice 100% white wool thats a nice weave, but neither piece was large enough to get the measurements near the ones you provided.

I will be sure to post some photos when I am finished with it.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Correction. I've now the sketch on Graham's book (RMC 2, page 11) before my eyes and the oval cloak must have belonged to a teenager or a short man. To work it should be folded in half along its longer axis, not across it, as I had previously supposed. That means a height of only 1.21 m from shoulder to feet. I am 1.72 high and I'd need no less than 1.40 m!

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
So I have my cloak mostly finished now. It has been dyed the proper color, but I need to hem the lower edge. What should the length be? Mine is coming to my lower calf now. Also would it be correct to add a cardwoven band around the bottom for 1st cent?

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:It has been dyed the proper color...

What is the proper color for paenula? I am going to get wool for one. What colors are acceptable?

Thanks,
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Alexander,

I dyed mine to match the brown yellow look thats in Mr. Sumners books. These seem to be the most common colors shown in original Roman depictions.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:18l9efyo Wrote:It has been dyed the proper color...

What is the proper color for paenula? I am going to get wool for one. What colors are acceptable?

Thanks,

I'd think it'd pretty unlikely there was actually a 'proper color' per se- it's probably only reasonable to mention improper colors: purple, lime green, flamingo pink, canary yellow :lol: Earth tones seem reasonable...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Oh hell, DON'T tell me that I must re-dye my flamingo pink sagum, please!! :lol:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Im sorry I did post this incorrectly. I should have said that I have dyed my cloak the more common color seen depicted.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Paulus,is the one you dyed the white one you spoke of earlier in this thread? Do you think a red one could be dyed a more brownish color?I've seen some groups say specifically "no red"for paenula.
(I hope this is still somewhat in context).
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Andy,

I agree with Matt just about any color is correct as long as its not as he stated. I do not know why red would be less correct than any other color that can be obtained naturally. I am sending you a PM

a.k.a. Paul M.
Right- the existence of a natural dye and availability of that dye should be the determining factors when deciding what's appropriate. Sure purple was a color that was used by the ancients, but it was INCREDIBLY expensive, so a purple sagum/ paenula is pretty unlikely :wink: To be honest, pink probably would be okay- off-white wool, not enough madder or another red dye to actually turn it red and presto: pink. I think it's been suggested there's a mosaic or fresco somewhere that seems to show a pink tunica, yes? Actually, I'm not even sure it's defensible to suggest cloaks were more likely dull colors- the Romans certainly liked their color, so why not in their cloaks too?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
How about gray or black?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Well if there's a natural dye that was used in antiquity that turned wool gray, then sure- but I'm unaware of one myself. Black isn't an easy shade to dye things actually- even now. I've tried to do it with commercially-available dyes (Rit, for example), and things have never gone really black...
Quote:Well if there's a natural dye that was used in antiquity that turned wool gray
Not hard to do. Just mix black wool with white wool when it's spun, and you have grey. They still do that today. You can get black wool from black sheep, too, but dyeing something black with vegetable dyes is pretty much impossible. Closest you can usually get is a charcoal grey.

Some researchers say that the Asian town of Laodicea was famous for their fine black wool. I'm sure there must have been other places, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Paul wrote:

Quote:I dyed mine to match the brown yellow look thats in Mr. Sumners books. These seem to be the most common colors shown in original Roman depictions.

That is quite correct. Not just because it is in my book but because that it what the evidence appears to show with both cloaks of Paenula and Sagum type worn by all almost ranks in that colour. There is a suggestion that the yellow brown is a natural wool colour retaining the lanolins to help keep the cloak waterproof.

Red, white, blue and olive green cloak colours are also seen in Roman art but it is not really clear who wore what or why. One could argue that tribunes and officers of equestrian rank wore white cloaks at times but that is on very slim evidence.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Panuela| Assistance needed. Decimvs Avrelivs Lvcanvs 1 1,131 09-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding