Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Circle Panuela ?
Did the greeks not dress their ephebes in black, until they had completed their military training?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Perhaps a bit off topic but here's a photo of me and two comilitones wearing our paenula.

[Image: JJTpaenula1.jpg]

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Not off topic at all Jef

Good colour and a nice 'W' shape especially on the middle one. Looks like you have gone for the two button and two toggle type fasteners as well.

I presume they all have hoods too, in which case you can see why it is not always clear that they have them on some tombstone images. But as John Peter Wild said to me if they do not have hoods then they are not Paenula cloaks.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks Graham, I'm very glad you like them! I took your advice when I had them made so it's thanks to you if they're good :wink:

We experimented with several methods of wearing and now I'm very aware of the multifunctionality of this garment.

The paenula can be worn in such a multitude of different ways... It's a great piece of fabric Smile

Oh and they all have hoods, yes.

My tunic (I'm the one in the middle) and my friend's at the right are handwoven (from Cacaius) and we dyed them with madder. I'm wearing a hat with a stripe pattern that's made with the naaldbindung technique (great as a helmet liner!).

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Matt in my research to prove to some Viking Age reenactors that there were black sheep I found out that the Hebridian breed commonly has black sheep.

Ah, well this does show that it wasn't such a rare phenotype in the past- so it's not so difficult to think that it might have been so even earlier and in other regions too. Their rarity nowadays could-well be a result of selective breeding FOR white ones.

Those paenulae are great Jef- and I'm very surprised at how difficult it is to see the hoods when down...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Reminds me of an old nursery rhyme...... Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice,Marcus Mummius !
Getting back to paenula dimensions,I'm surprised Hibernicus hasn't commented on this since his looks to be the right size.
I tried a mock-up using Graham's suggested 3mx1.35m and it worked perfectly. Converted to inches, it's 3m=120"=10'wide by(1.5m=60"=5' less hood cut-out about 10" leaves 1.35m. If the center axis is used as a reference for the circular cut top and bottom it should be the same length all around. Does this sound right,guys? Trying to get those metric numbers to something I can work with here.
Anyone have a suggestion as to wool weight? Some paenulae look very thin while others seem to be "coat weight"(whatever that is).
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Andy I have made them from both heavy weight, and medium weight wool The medium weight seems to give the best look.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:ek3kr7k3 Wrote:Matt in my research to prove to some Viking Age reenactors that there were black sheep I found out that the Hebridian breed commonly has black sheep.

Ah, well this does show that it wasn't such a rare phenotype in the past- so it's not so difficult to think that it might have been so even earlier and in other regions too. Their rarity nowadays could-well be a result of selective breeding FOR white ones.

Those paenulae are great Jef- and I'm very surprised at how difficult it is to see the hoods when down...

I agree! Most sheep I´ve met here in Sweden are dark grey! My mom and dad have sheep and sometimes they are dark enough to be almost black at least the first years. They tend to get lighter when they get older.

This might have been a red herring and if so I´m sorry!
I see now Armillum is offering paenulas in the brown color again! :x x
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My paenula it's half a cercle and it's black coloured.

[Image: 122_2220.jpg]

[Image: 122_2217.jpg]

[Image: 122_2215.jpg]
mine is a dark grey, but would like the brown too! I'm greedy that way! :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I am intrigued by the reconstruction of a C5th or 'baroque' paenula featured in D'Amato's Roman Military Clothing (3), which is based on carvings on the door panels at Santa Sabina in Rome & has a much shorter front section:

Judgment of Jesus

As rains like the fall of ruined seas from secret worlds above lash down on England, I am thinking about making a quick & dirty extra cloak for the weekend's event. My guess is that a poncho design based on a rectangle with rounded corners and a neck opening two thirds of the way along might make the basic shape, perhaps narrowed a bit more on the front & I'll worry about Clavi at a little more leisure.

What do you think? Has anyone tried making one?
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Hi Steve,

Mine is based on a half circle design, closed down the front, with a hood. When the front area is pushed back over the shoulders the effect is to make it seem as if the front is much shorter than the the back, but that is in fact not the case. Views of the cloak can be seen on pictures of the Wall walk last September. When pushed back the cloak becomes easy to wear, and I don't suffer from over-heating. But there is enough material to keep me warm at night.

The cloak got quite a soaking today. The smell of wet wool is just so evocative...
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Quote:As rains like the fall of ruined seas from secret worlds above lash down on England

Wow, that IS poetry!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Panuela| Assistance needed. Decimvs Avrelivs Lvcanvs 1 1,131 09-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding