Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Shield Personalization
All Late scuta, Roman or German ones up till now recovered, had horizontal grips (But I must admit that it is a hard-to-answer question if the shield is totally round and undecorated... :roll: )

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Well I guess I'll just have to retrain my muscles! I'm not one to veer from a challenge!

It is curious that technology would devolve so much in the centuries that followed. Anglo-Saxon and Viking shields were all flat plank shields, correct? I don't think Western Europe returned to any kind of curve until Norman kites some 500 years later.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Nope, Anglo-Saxon, Carolingian and Viking shields were dished too. The problem with the surviving boards is that they become flattened under the peat or earth pressure, giving thus the false flat look. :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Were they made of plank, or layered ply construction?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
They were made of planks, Franklin. That's why it is so difficult for most of us to have them made and we must make do with flat shields... Sad

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
So the planks must have been thin enough to take a curve? Or were they assembled flat and then carved/shaped afterward?

(Sorry to be so insistent! Just trying to get a mental picture)
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Franklin, I don't know for sure. I guess that it was half-and-half. The planks should be carved to shape, maybe like those of a barrel. Perhaps they were later glued and steamed to shape... :?
Do you know any cooper?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:As far as late ovals go (and again, I apologize, I'm sure this has been debated elsewhere) the majority have been found with horizontal grips. But some have been found with vertical, correct?

I've fought (admittedly SCA style) with both and vertical grips just FEEL so much better. You have tons more control and your arm doesn't tire nearly as quickly.

Read what we discussed about that here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... tical+grip
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Franklin, I don't know for sure. I guess that it was half-and-half. The planks should be carved to shape, maybe like those of a barrel. Perhaps they were later glued and steamed to shape... :?
Do you know any cooper?

Aitor

No, but I understand the principle.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:
Franklin:3d05kvkp Wrote:Well then by God I'm forging ahead! Where can I find an instructional on building a dished round?

Here:
http://cannesetbatons.free.fr/fabriquer_un_bouclier.htm

In French, but there's an English summary.

Rob, this is a GREAT description, but says hardly anything about a curve (!) except an unexplained reference to clamps. (by the way, bablefish translates "serres" as "greenhouses":lol: )

I'm guessing you place the shield on top of some object to give it height and then lay weights all around the edge until it dries. Or use clamps as the instructions imply.

Guys, let me know if we need to start a new thread here. I think we've strayed from the original subject of shield decoration.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Okay, the English summaries are a little vague and the Babelfish translation is a little shaky too, but I think I've got it. Here goes.

Bevel the top and bottom of several wood strips so they fit together like stacked joints. Glue them top to bottom to create a sheet.

Repeat step one times three.

Glue the three layers together in a horizontal, vertical, horizontal pattern; making sure that the 1st and 3rd layers (both horizontal) are staggered so you don't have parallel joints.

While the three layers are drying, place the whole shield over an object (maybe a bowl, or just a block of wood) to give it height. Clamp or weight down the edges.

Once dry remove weights/clamps. 3-ply sheet should maintain it's curve.

Cut out shape of oval.

Glue on linen facing. Decorate. Edge with stitched rawhide. Cut out two half moons. Reinforce handle. Attach umbo.

Am I missing anything?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
I think that would be it, but I'd have to see it before I'm convinced that's what he means. I intend to translate his pages into a How To page for dished shields, into English of course.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I think that would be it, but I'd have to see it before I'm convinced that's what he means. I intend to translate his pages into a How To page for dished shields, into English of course.

Not if I beat you to it!

Don't know why I assumed that tutorial was from the Fectio site. So, I'm confused, where did *your* shield come from? You didn't construct it yourself?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Also (and now we're really getting into details) the equation he gives for how to measure the oval, it'd have to be different for the later rounder style than for the earlier narrower version. I mean, this just makes sense right?

What are the measurements of your shield? (Measured along the front following the curve, not from the back since that would be different. Does that make sense? As in, the dimensions if your shield were flattened out again.)
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:29qd7a12 Wrote:I think that would be it, but I'd have to see it before I'm convinced that's what he means. I intend to translate his pages into a How To page for dished shields, into English of course.
Not if I beat you to it!
Don't know why I assumed that tutorial was from the Fectio site. So, I'm confused, where did *your* shield come from? You didn't construct it yourself?
Oh, please do, but that won't hinder me. Big Grin Maybe we'll do it together? I'd be happy to publish it on my website.

My dished shield was maybe by the guy whose website you've just been translating. I may my flat shields myself though:
http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/makescutum.htm
I just finished 4 small flat shields for my son's birthday (with rubber bosses..).

My flat scutum measures 1.18 x 0.97m, I can't really measure my dished one across the front for you because the umbo is in the way...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shield Patterns Website Longovicium 14 2,832 07-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Roman Shield Designs/Patterns (Late Republic-AD200) Mythos_Ruler 5 3,852 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Dutchhoplite
  What did the back of a Late Roman Shield look like? Poftim 6 1,873 10-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat