Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman/Iron Age Skewers/Spits
I'm cooking barbequed livers in a couple of days to a Roman recipe, and I have some iron to make skewers. I noticed that in Livy, one of the generals tells his soldiers to dump their gear and carry only a mess bucket and a skewer.

Before I make 'something up' (!!) does anyone have any photos or drawings of British iron-age or Roman skewers/spits??

I am going to post this on the Reconstruction Forum too... Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
A pic of a "set" of iron spits from Montefortino here:

[Image: spiedo.JPG]

"Particolare di un "set" di spiedi in ferro esposto al Museo Archeologico di Arcevia"

at: [url:3b31fwld]http://www.trigallia.com/montefortino/museo.asp[/url]

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
When I read about Iron Age fire dogs, it's often said they were used as spits. Since these reports haven't revealed an iron rod to use with this, I assume a wooden stick was used. If someone was wealthy enough for a fire dog or a set of them, they could concievably have afforded iron skewers, but I have not seen them ever.

In Roman-Britain there are iron flesh-hooks and meat-hooks. Take a look at Mannings "Catalogue of the Romano-British Iron Tools, Fittings and Weapons from the British Museum". On paltes 51 and 52 there are some very nice examples of them. I'd post them if I had a scanner here. I could later if you're interested.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Ihave seen flesh hooks and firedogs, but the reference I have is to a soldier carrying a skewer with which to cook his own food over a fire, so I'm afraid those pictures would not be much use to me Lugorix!

Quote:In Roman-Britain there are iron flesh-hooks and meat-hooks. Take a look at Mannings "Catalogue of the Romano-British Iron Tools, Fittings and Weapons from the British Museum". On paltes 51 and 52 there are some very nice examples of them. I'd post them if I had a scanner here. I could later if you're interested.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
If it helps, some skewers among associated spear-heads, from 5th century BC Apulia, from the Guttmann collection.

[Image: panop04b.jpg]
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Please go to the Food section and see links to immges of ancient BBQ staff.
Its Greek but something similar might have been used by the Romans.
Kind regards
Sorry, where would I find Food? Cry

Quote:Please go to the Food section and see links to immges of ancient BBQ staff.
Its Greek but something similar might have been used by the Romans.
Kind regards
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Here: http://w10.eleven2.com/~joorthuy/rat/vi ... 67557621db
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I think that Stefanos is meaning this thread link from old RAT, Paul Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Spotted them. Ahh, interesting. I like the ceramic stove too.

The entire gallery is fabulous Stefanos, I have always been far more interested in ancient Greece than Rome. You all look stunning. I am extremely jealous!!!!!!

Do you know where the BBQ was located? Which museum? Can you tell me anything else about it, perhaps how it worked or what the official interpretation is???

Thanks!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Ancient Agora Meuseum in Athens Paul
The ofFicial interpretation is cooking utensils

And some more roasting here (it was found in Thebes)

http://www.sikyon.com/Thebes/Art/thebes_peg11.html

Kind regards