Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flying 262s again...
Quote:Now this is a real airplane:
[url:p5viuz8u]http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/de%20Havilland%20DH%2098%20Mosquito.asp[/url]
I agree! My favorite from WW2!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
My favourite plane, the F-5.

Here you see the Hellenic Air Force's "Winged Star".
Isn't she a beauty or what?
Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

They had, the engine was inside, 5 flights were made, 1 ended with a crash, caused by the engines.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
MEIN GOTT!! That 262 is incredible!! I had heard some years ago that a US company was planning to build a small version of the 262, but it looked silly- like a midget plane. This full-sized virtually perfect-looking bird is BEAUTIFUL!! Gods, what I'd give to fly that thing Wink

For our dear Cesar, there's a guy in the US who has a flying replica Ju87B- the engine is a bit off, but otherwise she's just gorgeous too. With a single piston engine, I suspect it cost a bit less than $5 million :wink:

I just wish people would stop being such whiny babies about the markings- Luftwaffe aircraft look naked without a complete set of markings...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt
I agree wholeheartedly with you about the markings. If they want to avoid them it would be enough painting the plane as a post war Czech Avia... :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Matt
I agree wholeheartedly with you about the markings. If they want to avoid them it would be enough painting the plane as a post war Czech Avia... :wink:

Nah.. It does not look very good without the crosses...

[Image: modry_blesk.jpg]

http://www.military.cz/czech/air/Avia/S ... ebnice.jpg
[Image: hangar.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I like these markings :wink:
Martin
Quote:I like these markings :wink:
Yes of course you do Big Grin wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Sure, original is better...IMHO, german WWII plane without swastika is like unpainted scutum.
Martin
Oh these beautiful world war two planes!!

Did anyone else like me spent their childhood building Airfix`s, Revell`s, Matchbox`s aeroplanes? I remember how I hated Matchbox`s plastic coulours which were all too bright and difficult to cover with paint! Then there was later also Monogram whose scale of planes was different, 1:48, compared to the traditional 1:72 and 1:32...

I had all the Airfix toy soldiers too (and battlestations, bridges, tanks etc.) and also a roman trireme! Perhaps part of the fascination of this hobby was the "trips" due to sniffing the Airfix glue too much :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:I just wish people would stop being such whiny babies about the markings- Luftwaffe aircraft look naked without a complete set of markings...

Ave Matt,

right, but in Germany there's a special situation due to our disastrous history. Showing a swastika is prohibited by criminal law and 'allowed' only within small limits (mostly on originals or for scientific purposes). Not long ago, even a company who made stickers against (!) Nazis was sentenced by court, because their stickers featured broken (!)swastikas.... :o

Therefore also a reproduction of a special nice ornamented pugio will get little chance to enter the German market...

Sounds silly to Non-Germans. But as long as there are still (minority!)groups around here, praising the 'Führer' and bashing strangers from time to time, our law against special symbols will not be removed...

Plastic modelers usually cover the swastikas with paper or a dot-shaped sticker at a public exhibition. Hardly possible on a life-size plane at flying speed...
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:Plastic modelers usually cover the swastikas with paper or a dot-shaped sticker at an public exhibition

Heiko, I honestly am surprized by this political correctness! I think that this might even work in a very opposite way, making it somehow a "forbidden fruit" and even more fascinating to some people...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Yes, we know, Heiko but swastikas existed well before Adolf the Last and his mariachi.... :evil:
Should we refrain of reconstructing correctly the Late tunics at the Dura fresco or the Piazza Armerina mosaic because a hord of dangerous clowns are still at large :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Did anyone else like me spent their childhood building Airfix`s, Revell`s, Matchbox`s aeroplanes?

Ave Jyrki,

I started plastic modeling in about 1975 with the Airfix Bismarck and Arado sea plane (the latter is still with me). Even today I can 'sing' the content of the 1975-1980's Airfix and Revell catalogues.

I nearly built all Airfix models, a lot of Revell's and still have more than a hundred kits 'in store', mostly 1:48 WW I airplanes. (From the old Aurora Gotha bomber to modern manufacturers). And some rarities, like Revell's Red Baron's five-winged Fokker, Rommel's Rod (funny half-truck) and so on...

Due to my father's hobby, I was more or less raised on a glider airfield and did my first solo flight in an old glider from the fifties. That might explain why I like those flying machines made from metal rod, plywood and fabric...

BTW: covering an old glider with new fabric needed painting it with a special varnish, which stretched the fabric like a drum's hide. All done in a hot, small room in winter. Same effect like sniffing glue from a bucket :wink:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
And this would be MY baby:
[Image: do335pfeil-01.JPG]
[Image: do335_v3.jpg]
[Image: Do335.gif]

Fastest motor-driven plane ever. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swiss do it again: flying without a plane richsc 3 1,173 01-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Ron Andrea