Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where were late Republican legions raised
Over a game of tactica my opponent suggested that a good deal of legions during Caesar's time were raised outside of Italy. I was only aware that the 5th Alaudae being raised outside of Italy.

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/v_alaudae.html

This website states that the Fifth was the first legion raised from the provinces of Rome.

Is there any evidence that would point to other legions being raised outside of Italy during Republican times?

I am aware as time rolled on less and less recruits came from Italy.

Is there a website that lists where legions were recruited from?

I am assuming that the Livius site does not specifically state where they where raised that they were raised in Italy (applicable to Republican legions only, of course)

Matt Webster
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."

Matthew Webster
Is much probably true, we can have doubts only for the legion vernacula in Spain, that can be anterior to Alaudes. It isnt sure it is composed by Hispanienses (cives romani of Hispania) or true Iberians (I think like Gabba the first case).

Sure Antonius in 43 has enrolled Ligures Biagenni in his IV legion, at time probably all roman citizen after Cesar enfranchisement in 49. Impossible to know how many latin citizen cisalpine gaul served in Ceasar's legion in Gallia Comata.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Quote:Over a game of tactica my opponent suggested that a good deal of legions during Caesar's time were raised outside of Italy.
In Cisalpine Gaul, in fact, where there were sufficient citizens to call upon.

Having inherited a four-legion army (VII, VIII, IX and X), Caesar enrolled XI and XII in 58 BC, XIII and XIV in 57 BC, and a new XIV and XV in 53 BC, all apparently in Cisalpine Gaul (where northern Italians may have travelled to join the levy).

The V Alaudae (and Caesar's VI, later named Ferrata) weren't raised until 52 BC, by which time Caesar had already raised six legions outwith Italy.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman and Early Legions SAJID 4 279 07-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SAJID
  The Roman Balteus during the late Republican Period Reznikov12 4 1,136 04-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Scutum designs from late Republican to early(ish) Imperial! Gaius Julius Caesar 15 5,347 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS