Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
very average documentaries !
Is it just me or are there some very average Phd's out there doing some of the most dubious research I have ever seen. I watched a doco on discovery channel the other day and it had a Phd trying to prove that ancient Egyptian obelisk were raised with giant kites and it makes me think back to a group of 'experts' who made a 'reconstruction' of Leonardo's giant crossbow and completely stuffed it.

I am becoming of the opinion that many dedicated armatures have far exceeded the so called experts!
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
It's TV - some channels seem prepared to lose their credibility just to air 'spectacular' pseudo-science. And there are enough crackpots out there who are willing to heve their ideas vented on TV! :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I haven´t seen the "Leoanardo crossbow".

I saw the "obelisk staff" too. It was an unsuall aproach but I didn't notice anything weird about it.

Jason, Robert where do you object on the obelisk/kite issue?

Kind regards
Quote:Jason, Robert where do you object on the obelisk/kite issue?
First of all, is there any source that the Egyptians used kites? Is there a stable wind to use them?

Next thing they want us to believe is that the obelisk was transported by kites! :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Next thing they want us to believe is that the obelisk was transported by kites!

No no no, not in Egypt!! They were used in the vicinity of the "bosnian pyramids" :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Robert, I am ready to agree with you if it is known beyond doubt that there are no stable winds in Egypt.
As for the kites use, thats a lot of speculation.

Kind regards
Guys, the problem with most academics is the lack of funding opportunities. So they are prepared to make a little nice documentary featuring some "weird" research in order to attract money from TV companies and other potential sponsors for further research. Nobody will pay big money if you make an academically sound but "boring" documentary.
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

My problem with the Egyptian kite was a total lack of credible evidence.
When she tried to do it using egyptian technology it broke and im pretty sure the kites they might of had certainly wouldnt have been aerofoil design!
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
I go with Ioannes.... & I get very disapointed with many doc, make us wathching it for an hr or moore, at the end....(sigh!)... not real answers :evil:

This Egyptian light bulb, accurate or not..... it work it!...work it...work...it!

The Ancient Egyptian Light bulb

Video Demo

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote: This Egyptian light bulb, accurate or not..... it work it!...work it...work...it!
The Ancient Egyptian Light bulb
That was no Egyptian Light Bulb.
1) The text never says anything about how to buold a light bulb, so Von D. cannot have built it according to Egyptian specifications. The acid battery is an old gimic, but nothing like that has ever been found in Egypt. This is all 'coulda-woulda-shoulda' stuff.
2) If it were a light bulb it would've been hot and the Egyptian dude could never have held it like that without burning his fingers! Big Grin

Read more serious thinking about fringe archaeology here:
http://kjmatthews.users.btopenworld.com ... cts_1.html

Quote:Video Demo
The link don't work.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Most of us know the obelisks and pyramids were not built by the Egyptians using kites,

but by the Goa'uld!

It is all a big conspiracy by the Governments of this world, denying the fact there is a stargate.

[Image: CDI70E0.jpg]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Documentaries on archaeology martijn.wijnhoven 0 716 01-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Last Post: martijn.wijnhoven